Large Scale Central

Back to School Challenge?

That’s the whole point of the challenge to challenge you to finish a project that you keep putting off. Heck, I’m stumped over drilling grab irons for my GP30. How can something so simple be such a distraction?

OK I am in. But I am going to fudge the 6 month inactivity rule a bit. I started those 6 hand crafted box cars and flat cars and only finished one. I really should make this project my locomotive but financially I don’t think I can make the deadline. So in that series of cars was going to be a converted boxcar caboose. I vow to finish at least that box car caboose.

Also I have an January 1 deadline to finish the manuscript for my book and since it is about the railroad that my cars are modeled after I will make the vow to finish that project also.

Actually this is a good idea because I know any day now Dave will throw out a MIK teaser and make us all itchy.

Craig Townsend said:

That’s the whole point of the challenge to challenge you to finish a project that you keep putting off. Heck, I’m stumped over drilling grab irons for my GP30. How can something so simple be such a distraction?

Make a little brass jig with both holes. Drill one hole in the model and pin the jig on, swing into position. Now you only need to mind the level, the rest is easy peasy to drill.

Now you need a real project! (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

John

OK I’m in. The Project; Removable battery pack under the wood pile. The victim; Aristo C-16. Protected with recycled breakers and on/off switches for lights and sound.

Thumbs McGee on the delicate parts and soldering iron.

Mr. MaGoo reading the directions…

John,

Oh I know how to make the jig, I just keep putting it off. Having a X/Y table attachment for the drill press helps in locating the guide holes. And I have a bunch more side projects on the GP30 as well. Rebuilding the trucks, updating the front & rear pilots, etc. Quite the list actually.

I hear you Craig, the one thing missing from my toolbox is Motivation.

John

Well John,

I started this ‘challenge’ to motivate myself to find time and push myself a little bit, but its going on day 2 and I still haven’t done a single thing! Humm this is not looking good for me!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

I cant start the challenge until I get the current things done. So I aint started nuttin yet neither.

i already cleared about half the space necessary on the working bench…

I peeked at my ‘project’, it was easy to see why I let it sit so long… heat stroke is starting to look appealing …

What desk? Oh that pile?

John

I find myself in the same place. Since accepting this challenge I haven’t even touched the project I’ve committed to. Rather I have worked a little each day and have removed the lettering from 4 hoppers with only one to go. I’m hoping to dig into the challenge project this weekend. Hey, we have three months right! (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-foot-in-mouth.gif)

OK so I am finally thinking about the challenge. Here is what I have, well actually this is the Oak flat car but the caboose is at the same stage of construction minus the extra planks on the deck and it is made of redwood/cedar.

And here is where it needs to go.

I am going to make this a little different than the box car. I am making believe that they finished planking the interior walls and added a ceiling to insulate it for all weather use. This means no need to make the very complicated frame work. I will use a piece of 1/4 ply scribed on the inside for planks and then use the same strip wood for the exterior planking. this will facilitate faster construction for sure. It is the same frame as the box car the ends are just moved in and steps added and the doors and windows pretty simple. have no idea what the interior would look like but I know they used them as cabooses and alternate coaches. So I thinking some benches along the outer perimeter would be in order. I plan on making the sliding doors work and maybe even the end doors. Any way this is it.

Gee Devon, hard to believe that’s a put off project. That looks like fun!

Mine however requires cleaning my desk… which has never been fun!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

So far I looked at the mess once…

Carry on,

John

John Caughey said:

Gee Devon, hard to believe that’s a put off project. That looks like fun!

Mine however requires cleaning my desk… which has never been fun!(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

So far I looked at the mess once…

Carry on,

John

Well just because its fun doesn’t mean it doesn’t get put off. It is fun… the box car was a hoot but summer, and my book, and everything else made it land on my work bench pile along with its four other sisters. One car is complete there will be another box car the caboose, to standard flat cars and a heavy flat in the set. All are started only one is done. So the caboose is next and hence the choice.

PS I cleaned of the table saw. Next s the work station.

So where’s everyone at…updates? I have the plywood ends on with the door openings cut. I will add the sides likely tomorrow.

Devon,

Here’s where I’m at. I filled some putty areas, and resanded the putty. Hopefully in the next day or so I’m going to drill a jig for grab irons and start the process of drilling grab iron holes. I’ve also been spending a lot of time in the digital world redesigning a replacement Blomberg truck for 3D printing, and then casting. I was never happy with the oversized details of USAT Blomberg trucks (the extra large brake shoes where one of them) and I want to replicate a couple of different wheel journal styles so I thought that this might be a good chance to try some 3D designs. I’m also planning on drawing up replacement steps, and some detail parts (glad hands, airhorn, fans, window wipers). Depending on how these go, I might also try drawing up a replacement pilot as well. If When I get the model done, it should be a mix of traditional modeling and some new 3D designs.

I’m always doing something, so what’s the challenge, besides I have no intention of returning to school. Every day I find just enough motivation to breath, take nourishment, smile, check my email, chat in the LSC Chat room, go out for a newspaper, do some little job on the railroad, use a pin vice to drill at least two small holes for grab irons, or just for practice…spend a few minutes looking back where I’ve been, in case the long awaited “Lock Master’s Daughter” is searching for me…oh, the list goes on. I even find time to quaff a bheer or two with a friend, or two…and then the glass of whine with my neighbours across the street on their front porch, or is today Thursday…ahh it’s on my patio, by the cement pond, under the canopy…oh that means I must pick up a bottle or three of a fair Merlot…to be sociable…

Oh…I completely forgot going out for breakfast with friends at least twice a week…and there is the weekly operating session on the railroad on Saturday mornings…

…as you can see…I AIN’T got time to compete with anyone doing anything, beside enjoying life and sharing the fun…that’s what I REALLY ENJOY, about retirement, and this hobby of MODEL RAILROADING…anyone close by that cares to join me…Youse is more than welcome …but don’t come near me if you are in a competitive mood…I have no time or energy to waste on that. !!!

Well Fred,

Unlike the MIK challenge this one is not a competition. This was put out their by Craig (a school teacher, hence the “back to School” name) to help motivate some of us that have a pile of projects that we would like to complete. Those ones that just need a few more tweeks but we just don’t do them. So it is a challenge only in the sense to challenge our self to finish and do it in a friendly seting where if we commit to it then the gentle pressure of doing it publicly might encourage us to do it. No Prizes, No awards, just a deadline and the satisfaction of checking one more off the list.

It may not be for everyone.

Gee wilikers Fred, that’s a long post to say No Thanks, but we’re glad you let us know.

I’m bowing out, health and other commitments prevail.

John

update?

well, i have been thinking more then once, that i should shovel free more space on the workbench and that it might be helpfull to remember, where all the pieces of the project are…