Large Scale Central

Bachmann EBT Caboose

Randy, I am full of bad ideas. My bad ideas are more projects, or more work on my current projects. So I am a bad friend to me too, so you are in good company. Or bad company, depending on your viewpoint.

Okay, it’s been a while since I first started contemplating this project, but in fairness we had that pesky little convention out here this Summer which pushed a whole bunch of other projects up on “the list,” making a huge mess of the workshop in the process. After a week solid of cleaning, I finally got the shop back in “project-building” form, so I figured it high time to make quick work of a new caboose.

We’re far from finished yet, but the basic carbody is finished. I raised it up 5/16", and re-sided the car with Evergreen .040" V-grove siding, at 3/16" spacing. The doors are now a proper 6’ tall. Door and window trim came from Iron Horse Engraving; I just ordered extra sets of doors and windows from his passenger car kits. They work great!

Next up, handrails, end rails, and ladders; truss rods (I’m modeling this as a wood-frame car), and then the interior. I haven’t figured out how much of the stock interior I will end up using. The bench (shown in the doorway) needs to go, and the bathroom closet wall falls in the middle of the window, so that’s going to have to go, too. I will likely end up using the bench, stove, and cupula cabinet details, but building a new floor.

Later,

K

Nice work Kevin! Thanks for showing what and how you do it.