Large Scale Central

Any interest in seeing some grain elevator photos?

That Shorpy pic posted by Jon R is definitely worth looking at the hi-res image and even enlarging your screen view. Did you notice the passenger train AND the other boxcars - in the background, and what look like cutesey German-style ‘balconies’ (?) one floor up under those overhangs on the elevators on the right? - the trucks on those Erie gons? - the rounded roof on that diminuitive Philadelphia and Reading Boxcar… The guys poling or spearfishing(?!) ;>)) in the harbour…

Thanks John - I missed the passenger train… Complete with engine :slight_smile: And that P&R box car with the larger UP car is a perfect prototype example of how a smaller scale car can be used in a larger scale so long as you update the hardware (hand grabs, etc). That will be my excuse for changing some more of my 1:24 stock to 1:20.3 without widening or making taller.

Jon: You’re making the switchover to 1:20, are you? So far I’ve decided not to bother because the 1:20 stuff looks SO large to me next to my 1:24 bldgs, etc… very established now with the smaller stuff…

The picture of those boxcars also gives you permission to move your brakewheels off the staff to a much less vulnerable position if you choose. - photo taken in the late '80’s - early '90’s? d’you know?

Joe,
Historical question, please. You said grain elevators and coming from the midwest,these are certainly different than what I was expecting. So from what has been said, these are in Buffalo, NY and most of this infrastructure is abandoned? What has replaced it? And I guess why? Is this related to unit trains and grain being moved south by rail?

Buffalo was at one point the cornerstone of traffic to the midwest via the Erie Canal and St Lawrence Seaway. It would make sense that building grain elevators in the midwest and the food manufactures moving out of NY State would make them obsolete in Buffalo, just a guess though.

Ric - Just off the top of my head with no research done…

I believe the elevators you are used to out your way are collection points, where farmers bring their grain to collected on the way to market. Those elevators fed trains who in turn fed the lake freighters on the Great Lakes. Buffalo was a trans-load point for grain and these elevators needed to be big enough to off-load several lake freighters for transfer to barges for further shipment down the Erie canal to NYC.

What happened is that the canal traffic was replaced by better and faster railroads. The Erie canal still exists and is operational, but for the most part only for pleasure craft. Without the need for trans-load there was no need for the elevators.

Because of the proximity to the grain storage, several large manufacturers like General Mills built processing plants in Buffalo. When the lake to canal trans-loading stopped Buffalo was no longer a major grain center, so the manufacturing slowly moved elsewhere. Probably closer to the source in the Midwest.

If I may, here are some grain elevators from the Palouse Country, just south of Spokane, WA. Standard disclaimer, I didn’t take any of these photos, and I’ve tried to attribute the photographer. From Gary Rich

(http://ic2.pbase.com/o3/15/850715/1/133385628.Is1jEksL.DSC_2778ax.jpg)

Fairfield, WA

(http://ic2.pbase.com/o3/15/850715/1/133385589.Lil8qddw.DSC_2945x.jpg)

Tekoa, WA

(http://i.pbase.com/o3/15/850715/1/133383326.lUqf71Ne.EPV0086x.jpg)

Palouse, WA

(http://ic2.pbase.com/o3/15/850715/1/133380548.Jen2LiPf.EPV0260x.jpg)

Rosalia, WA David Honan

(http://www.railpictures.net/images/d1/7/9/2/5792.1233290035.jpg)

Sunset, WA

Some Local Elevators in Southern Illinois… Nashville

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/andyc/Modeling%20photos/Nashville%20Elevator,%20looking%20south.jpg)

Okawville

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/andyc/Modeling%20photos/Okawville%20Elevator,%20lookin%20southeast%20to%20northwest%20,%20on%20the%20south%20side%205.jpg)

(http://freightsheds.largescalecentral.com/users/andyc/Modeling%20photos/Okawville%20Elevator,%20lookin%20west%20to%20east,%20on%20the%20east%20side%203.jpg)

… Further to the historical notes re Buffalo - when I was a kid you could look at your Muffets and Shredded Wheat boxes and see a picture of Niagara Falls - it all ties in, doesn’t it? Maybe they still have that picture on the box these days…

Here in Toronto we had, and still have the remains of, huge grain elevators as well, built at a later date, so less picturesque and more very heavy industrial-looking - and these of course were for all those big grain shipments coming in from the praiiries, the wheat to be converted into flour and other products, or grains simply to be sent by ship overseas from here.

When we use the term grain elevator, it really does refer to two quite different operations.

First the storage of farmers’ grain out west or in the other regions of production, the so-called ‘prairie giants’ - big by prairie small town standards, places to store grain for loading onto trains. Then there are the eastern elevators at the ports - altogether a different breed of cat. These enormous structures dwarf their prairie kin, for they are where whole trainloads of grain are stored pending the next step in their journey to the tables of the world.

Of course, both of these types and sizes of elevators are of interest to model railroaders. We want neat-looking structures where we can drop off and pick up our freightcars, and in one context or another, both types of elevators nicely fill the bill for us, depending on our personal taste and the type of pike we are modelling. I like them both, and would even put both kinds on my pike without qualms, each for their own virtues, but I do feel the big portside ones are the more varied and interesting structures.

Good thread guys!

John, regarding Niagara Falls and Shredded Wheat. Although the plant on Buffalo Avenue where the breakfast food was made still exists, apparently the city fathers or others want to tear it down so they can put up, what? Another parking lot? Obviously, the historical interest groups are up in arms over this and it’ll be interesting to see how it plays out. BTW, hats off to you Canadians (eh?) for being such great custodians of the environment. The Canadian side of the Niagara River, heading downstream toward the Falls is a showplace, compared with the American side, where industry had it’s way with nature, then left behind trash. Now the towns and cities want to turn the riverfront into bike paths and parks, but it’s a tough row to hoe–especially when you’re trying to dig up slag.

Hi, Joe: If I were a Buffalonian I’d have to agree - The Shredded Wheat plant is an important part of the city’s history. I’d be looking for a way of turning it to practical use as well as preserving it as much as possible… Of course, as a model railroader, I’m definitely in love with old industrial structures… ;>))

Every now and then, someone here in Buffalo get’s the idea to turn these delinquent elevators into a hotel or a fish hatchery or something. Unfortunately, nobody ever follows through with any of these projects, So, these structures continue to decay. What a shame.

-Kevin.

BTW- Here’s some more Buffalo grain elevator history: www.buffalohistoryworks.com/grain/history/history.htm

-Kevin.

:slight_smile: While we are talking about Buffalo, I should plug my dad’s book, Remembering Old Buffalo

(http://www.wnybooks.com/rob.jpg)

I still have a few copies if anyone is interested!

Jon, you’re on. Lemme know where to send money or whatever (hey, youse can never have enough books!).

Kevin, funny you mention it, but while on our historic cruise of the Buffalo River, the name of some wealthy businessman who seems to own many of these elevators or is involved in some kinda commerce thing (I never listen to lectures, so I don’t recall what the docents said) kept coming up. Among the suggested uses was storage of various materials inside the silos. There was also mention of elevators that had been turned into hotels and such, elsewhere, like in Ohio, I think. But I believe they’re referring to the wooden kind, as it would be a bear to cut through a few feet of reinforced concrete.

On the redevelopment issue, my cousin sent me a clipping from the Buffalo News, which said that either the city or some redevelopment group is doing a feasablity study of turning the waterfront around the Skyway, into a beach. It could work, as the area near the harbor entrance where we boarded our tour boat, is now a nice park, with waterfront condos located across the small, boat basin, all near downtown Buffalo, itself a treasure trove of architectural design (the Art Deco city hall, the Sullivan Bldg, etc). Do I sound like a Buffalo booster, or what? :slight_smile:

Joe Rusz said:
Do I sound like a Buffalo booster, or what? :)
I'm with you, Joe. It's a beautiful, great city, for all the reasons you cite!

Thanks Joe. You have mail.