Large Scale Central

Adding water feature on the RC &TR Ridge RR

^ That and lilies help to shadow the pond to cut down on algae, and it doesn’t hurt to skim the algae off the top when it starts showing up (usually hot, sunny days when the pond is exposed).

If you’re planning on putting in fish, you don’t want to use chemicals anyways.

The little but of stingy algae that I do get, I leave for the fish. That’s where they lay their eggs, and the fry eat the algae so they can get big enough to survive the winter.

Getting a little further along in the process. I’ve built two walls in the upper pond to provide strength for the boulders that will eventually be moved back to the edge of the pond and cover the liner. Also started gluing down the retaining wall brick that will serve as the wall for the lower pool which holds the waterfall pump. All of the pond material has come in except the EPDM liner which is somewhere in New Jersey…not sure why it went to the opposite side of the country. But the pond supply company has shipped a second one which will be here on Tuesday.

Still need to get basic plumbing done and electricity added to this area…but now its all about finding the time since the school year has begun.

Richard

Anyone have a recommendation for an adhesive that will glue down the pond liner to these concrete wall pieces?? The liner will go under the very top course you see in the picture below. One final finishing course will be added to the top of what you see in the picture. Let me know…thanks!!

Glue? why?

Water pressure will hold the liner in place, especially with 2 rows of bricks on top.

David and Steve, I’m beginning to think the same way. I’m guessing if I make real sure the liner is form fitted inside the pool that everything will lock into place once water is added. Those concrete blocks are not light as the muscles in my arms will tell you right now (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif).

Richard

I tucked my liner under the cap (top) course of blocks. Works great and no fear of cutting a jagged edge at the top of the liner.

-Kevin.

Richard

Do you have any old carpets / scraps laying around … some place these under your liner for protecting from sharp rocks/blocks!

Looks great!

I bought a roll of cheap carpet padding from Lowe’s to protect my pond liner.

I purchased a fabric underlay when I purchased the liner, pump, and filter. Do you think I would need more padding than that??

Today my son and I went to a rockery in Fresno and purchase about 3 1/2 tons of rock which will be delivered Friday. It’s a lot more than I think I’ll need for this project but I’m sure I’ll find a home for all of it somewhere on the railroad.

Still need to get the electrical and water line plumbed for the pump and filter…just too darned hot outside to do much of anything.

Funny thing though…the pond equipment I purchased for an outfit in Oklahoma was delivered last Monday via FedEx except the liner itself. After tracking it we found it was headed to New Jersey which on the side of the country from us. So the company sent another liner which arrived yesterday. Checking tracking just now the first liner is headed to Arizona with an arrival date of this Friday…it has certainly made its away all around this great country of ours!!

Richard

Richard, you need enough padding that a rock, that is hiding just below the soil, or a tree root, will not wear through the liner. That what you need. That’s all I can say.

David…thanks for the extra advice…you are correct. I found an old carpet and some padding to lay over the retaining wall I’ve installed inside the pond. I’ll tack it down with some concrete block adhesive just to hold it in place until I get the actual liner installed.

Finished trenching for the waterfall pump pipe and electrical outlet I’m adding on the retaining wall between the raised garden and little patio. I’ll plug the pump at this location so I’m not running cords all over the place…should stay nice and tidy. Need to get a few more electrical pieces so I can start hooking the wiring up.

I’m planning to run 3-wire 10 gauge in 1/2" electrical grade pvc conduit and attaching it to the concrete wall base of my fence. The concrete base of my fence is 8" wide x 16" high with the steel fence poles sunk in this concrete. I’m thinking its a pretty permanent structure. I’ll raise the electrical outlets a few feet off the ground and attach to the fence boards and stringers.

Now just need the darn Central Valley to cool off…oy!!

Richard

Keep up the good work! I’m tired of our heat too!

Did you get to fill your pool yet? It sure is going to look good!

Thanks Doug…but no, I have not purposely filled the pond yet. The upper pond flooded about 2 weeks ago due to a ruptured drip line. The lower pool flooded the other day because I tied off the wrong end of another ruptured drip line. And it’s been over 105 for the past few days so work has come to a stop…might try tonight with a fan going and some halogen lighting.

Richard

I understand Richard. I live on the High Desert about 120 miles from you! And we are actually in the lower 100s! We have lived on the desert nearly 40 years and if there is one thing we have learned, it is to take your time in the summer!

Pond progress has been really slow due to a very busy teaching year…(what am I saying?? Each year is very busy (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif))

However, I’m hopeful to get the liner installed in the upper pond area possibly today if I can get myself outside on this beautiful Central California day with no rain in sight…I have one more boulder to lift so the liner can be placed underneath. Purchased a Come Along to help in the process…just hope my Chinese Pistache can handle the tension. I’ve also had to remove the trestle and most of the track and roadbed in the area to make it easier to work…

Pictures coming soon…

Richard

With the help of my better half, a Come Along, and some good old fashioned leverage we managed to lift the largest of the boulders that still needed to be moved. The pond liner will go right underneath…so the next step is to soften all the harsh areas with some scrap carpet. Then install the pond underlay. Then finally the liner itself…

wow!

Wow Richard, and I thought I had moved some big rocks around my house! Being somewhat neighbors, I know exactly how dense and extremely heavy they are! Makes me envious of other regions with their more porous rocks! lol I can’t think of any advice regarding your pond as you have been given some great advice already. I’m just a short drive away so if you ever need some help give me a holler and I’ll try to come help. I was just in town last Friday!

Steve