Large Scale Central

Abandonment & salvage

Great story and loved the pix. I too thought that hand laid ties and hand spiked rail would look cool, so I added a 20 foot long siding.

1st lesson learned was that splines under the ties are absolutely necessary. Second is that even micro-engineering spikes will pull out over time. Unless there are splines under the rails trying to reset the spikes only shoves the ties into the ballast.

I used old redwood fence boards cut to scale lengthwise and widthwise, but left them the thickness of the board ā€“ about 5/8 inch to get better tooth in the ballast. The track has not shifted for me in the five or six years since I put the siding in.

I laid the completed track sections in a shallow trench, but didnā€™t do much drainage work. The splines have begun to rot out, but the ground here is a very heavy clay and stays moist most of the time down about three or four inches.

Here we go again, pictures are back.

2 Likes

Bump for post count nine years later !

:rooster:

I just love these old threads. I donā€™t think I even saw this one at the time. Thanks!

interesting read.
and its age i didnā€™t realize until i read a post by Steve Featherkyleā€¦

this forum won through a failure.
by obligating us to fix the old threads manually, we get lots of interesting reads all at once.

1 Like