Large Scale Central

A chance find

We have the Track of Perpetual Puttering for the same purpose. Unlike yours, though, it does not connect to the garden. It is actually a strip of track on a windowsill and a few other bits of track on a neighboring shelf. Items go there to guilt me into action…

Eric

I may have to go that route as well. The train room is out of space, but a shelf test layout elsewhere in the house might be doable.

Off-topic note: For whatever reason, I was sent a list of raw undeveloped lots for sale on ‘The Big Island.’ Astonishingly, the prices were sane (bottom five-digit range) and most had utilities close by. Ghetto area? Lava flowing across the lawn? A quick check showed lots that cheap are not on the other islands.

I spent part of today going over the wiring for track power and testing out the old track power locomotives. I still have a couple of dead spots, one on a switch, the other at one of the two remaining crossovers. I can’t do much with the switch save clean it, but changing out the crossover is doable. This exercise reminds me of why I went to battery…

Both are possible. The other could be that the lots are in areas that are simply remote from anything other than alleged utility hook ups. The state does publish lava risk maps. If it is in a high risk area, good luck getting insurance!

Eric

From the pics, several seemed to be in inhabited areas with neighbors close at hand. A couple mentioned (southward?) ocean views. Only one showed an actual lava field.

Tim,

All I can say is, “Do your research.” You may find that it is in a lava plain, and that you cannot get insurance and / or permits. Those neighbors may be “off grid” for reasons of hookup price. Getting materials to the site may make any savings on the land moot. Also, this may be paradise, but we do have earthly problems, so check the crime map and dig into local news to check on the community. Hawaii Island is big enough to have some pretty wild contemporary history!

Eric

right now, it is idle curiosity. I am getting too old and broken to try building anything major…