Large Scale Central

700 billion dollar bailout

John McCain, in his own words… http://elections.foxnews.com/2008/09/24/john-mccain-on-the-economic-crisis/

Typical McCain, putting the country’s needs ahead of his own best interests…unfortunately Sen Obama says he won’t follow suit in suspending HIS campaign for the duration, AND there are a LOT of people who DON’T and WON’T vote for what’s “best for the country”, but for whoever promises them the most “gimmees”

I was reading Mik’s post about McCain and self-interest, and at the exact same time there’s a commentator on Fox news reading it almost verbatim. Kinda freaked me out a bit…

How I see it, both senators are perfectly capable of dealing with this cricis via their crackberries. Their campaigns are conducting business simultaneously in 50 states (and then some), in the most “connected” election ever. Neither has to be in Washington, listening to hours of–from what I’ve been hearing today–frighteningly predictible “doom and gloom, must act now!!!” testimony. They can watch it on C-span as we’ve had on all day here, and text in their questions to those on the panel. In truth, they can do more angling and deal-making via cell phone than they could sitting through that testimony anyway. Seemingly the entire whole of Congress is pretty much opposed to the package as proposed by the White House, so there’s really no need for either of them to take the lead in this fight. This is probably the biggest show of bipartisanism that we’ve seen in a decade. In that light, McCain’s “suspension” of his campaign can be viewed as just the oppostite–posturing to make himself look more in touch. How well it plays with voters will be up to the individual.

Later,

K

What kevin said

McCain Suspending his campaign is a stunt. You think if he’s President he gets to “suspend” being president when the going gets tough? Surely we want a President who can do more than one thing at a time? I want to see him debate Obama–I want to know where they both stand on this mess, but McCain’s trying to hide.

He’s not on the banking committee, he’s been absent entirely from the Senate since April, but suddenly he’s indispensible to the solution?

Gee, last summer when Osamaobama came back to the Senate after Dingy Harry asked both of them to return, and McCain didn’t, Osamaobama was praised to high heaven and McCain was vilified as a slacker. I guess timing is everything, isn’t it, Mike? 'Cause I would sure hate to think that the party of the Senator had anything to do with who got the praise.

Steve, what are you talking about? I have no idea

Of course not.

Mike, lets go run some trains. Your place or mine?

Bob McCown said:
http://www.nakedcapitalism.com/2008/09/why-you-should-hate-treasury-bailout.html

Troubling wording in the plan:

“Decisions by the Secretary pursuant to the authority of this Act are non-reviewable and committed to agency discretion, and may not be reviewed by any court of law or any administrative agency.”

Bob et al

Yes, it is a very cute scheme they’re cooking up. But when one takes into consideration where many of the people who now like to push this scenario came from, it is not a huge surprise.

The surprise is that the bubble didn’t burst a lot earlier and the really scary part/utterance: “The fundamentals are strong!”

OK I get back to reading my book : John Tirman’s “100 ways America is screwing up the world.” (ISBN 978-0-06-113301-5) :wink: :slight_smile:

“Nobody’s life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.”

WHAT DOES A ‘SUSPENDED’ CAMPAIGN LOOK LIKE?.. Just this morning, in New York, John McCain was pretty straightforward about his perspective on the campaign: “I cannot carry on a campaign as though this dangerous situation had not occurred, or as though a solution were at hand, which it clearly is not. As of this morning I suspended my political campaign.”

Got it. So, what does a “suspended” campaign look like? As it turns out, it’s eerily similar to a regular ol’ campaign.

What have we learned since McCain suspended his presidential campaign?

• McCain campaign offices in battleground states are open and operating, just like yesterday.

• McCain’s television ads are on the air, just like yesterday.

• McCain media flacks are all over the news networks, just like yesterday.

• McCain’s campaign staffers are working, just like yesterday.

• McCain’s campaign website is up, soliciting contributions and promoting McCain’s message, just like yesterday.

• For the big White House meeting today, Barack Obama was told not to bring any campaign aides, so he’s bringing a legislative assistant from his Senate staff. John McCain is bringing a campaign advisor.

I don’t want to alarm anyone, but I get the sinking feeling that maybe, just maybe, the “suspension” announcement was some kind of (gasp!) gimmick, and that nothing has actually changed at McCain Campaign HQ.

http://www.washingtonmonthly.com/archives/individual/2008_09/014884.php

The tired old war horse STILL looks better than that oily used car salesman type he’s running against… Maybe if we all vote “none of the above” or maybe “shoot 'em all”

They seized WaMu, wiping out shareholders.
Sold over 300 billion in assets to JP Morgan/Chase for 1.9 billion. What a deal, even drug dealers don’t get 150 times what they pay for.
JP/Chase shoulders NONE of WaMu’s liabilities.

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/080926/washington_mutual_future.html

Personally, I have an axe to grind with WaMu. Can’t stand them.
But this is crap. This is what the bailout is supposed to prevent. They could not wait 24 hours?
They are fattening their pal’s wallets. Just wait until they have 700 billion to play with.
Ralph

Ralph, what did you expect? Looks like all is going according to the usual plan!

And Bin Laden is sitting in his cave laughing at all of this.

Steve Featherkile said:
I don't think that he holds treasury notes and other gov paper. ;) But the Chinese and Japanese - who regularly get dumped on, because they don't behave according to the "market norm" - have bundles and bundles of that stuff. The chickens are coming home to roost!!

I guess my point was, that though Barney Frank did insist that the banks make these “liar’s loans” to people who couldn’t pay for them, in the interests of “fair housing practices,” it was the world wide short sellers, some of whom are in Dubai, Riyadh, Abu Dabhi, Islamabad, and so on, that really screwed things up. Just like Obama, excuse me, Osama said he would do. That was either a typo or a Freudian slip, that’s my story, and I’m sticking to it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Ralph Berg said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Ralph, You don't seem to have been paying attention to the news. Everyone in Congress is holding news conferences saying,"I've been telling them this was going to happen for years, but nobody would listen." The ones screaming the loudest are the perps.
Nobody expected the President to demand 700 billion dollars a few months before his term ended. They were expecting regular failures with the administration asking for money in each case, as with AIG and the others. Hey, I have been telling you this was going to happen ;) Ralph
Thew real reason they are bailing out these banks is that is where they (congress)have their retirement invested. If the banks fail then they will have not retirement.
Steve Featherkile said:
I guess my point was, that though Barney Frank did insist that the banks make these "liar's loans" to people who couldn't pay for them, in the interests of "fair housing practices," it was the world wide short sellers, some of whom are in Dubai, Riyadh, Abu Dabhi, Islamabad, and so on, that really screwed things up. Just like Obama, excuse me, Osama said he would do. That was either a typo or a Freudian slip, that's my story, and I'm sticking to it. :P
I hardly think you can blame Barney Frank.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/17558626/detail.html#-

This is a case of greed with similar cases occurring all around the country. The man originating the “fraudulent” loans was selling the homes for $40,000 more than he was paying.
Had the homes sold for the original $89,350 instead of the $129,500 the buyers might very well have been able to qualify for conventional financing and been able to afford the payments.
Ralph

Steve Featherkile said:
Nah he's in the basement of the white house with his buddy laughing at all of us
Mark Dash said:
Steve Featherkile said:
Nah he's in the basement of the white house with his buddy laughing at all of us
Most likely in a Saudi palace..........living like a king. Ralph

The House votes NO :smiley:
Ralph

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/financial_meltdown