Large Scale Central

20 ft boxcar in 20.3

The era is early 21st century…(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif). Not to answer for Dennis but I believed he did answer the question when he said

“Since my railroad is mountainous and curvy and requires mostly short line type cars, I decided to build
some 20ft in 20.3 scale boxcars, I am not into precise scaled or trying to make an exact replica of true prototypes.”

I would be curious if at every there were any “normal” narrow gauge freight equipment that small. But my guess is that this is about the “feel” of a small narrow gauge and practical for making small curves and steep inclines.

I’m not sure of the measurements, but these are from the turn of the century between 1800 and 1900…

They are shorter than later rebuilds that eliminated the end sills…

John

Ric Golding said:

What is the era of 20 foot box cars? I’ve never seen one in real life and know little about them. Is this early railroading equipment? Was it used in Colorado Narrow Gauge more than other places?

Ric

When the boss (me) of the Rabbit Mountain Railroad said he wants a shorter version of a boxcar, then the designer of the railroad equipment (me) said something about 12" long is what he (me) thinks would look good behind 2 truck shays and climax engines, and LGB 0 4 0 engines on a curvy and 3% plus grades. LOL

So I think 3 or 4 of these boxcars will look good going up and down the ole rabbit Mt RR.

The truth of the matter, I don’t care if it doesn’t represent any prototype, looks like anything else that is real, I just like short line short stuff.

Thanks Dennis

The D&RG’s first cars were tiny. They started in 1871 with 14 foot long, 4 wheel flats, and high side gondolas, and the box cars were a whooping 12 foot long and all had a load rating of only 10,500 lb… And to top it off they were built to only 6 feet wide, as at the time the thought was that they should only be twice as wide as the gage for stability. All these cars were used primarily for the construction of the RR. The second set of rolling stock was ordered in 1872 with much larger capacity. These new cars were 7ft 6in wide and were 22’ box cars ( 24’ over the end sills ) rated at 8 tons, and on 4 wheel trucks, with Link and Pin couplers. And the Flats and Gondolas were built on the same 8 ton frames and trucks. And in 1883 they built more of these 8 ton flats but lengthened them to 26 feet long, All these cars had only 4 beams underneath them, two outside and two inside.

Yes Colorado NG’s used shorty cars, the D&RG never had 20 footers thou. 12, 14, 16, 22, 24, 26, 30, 32 … but no, as built 20 footers.

OK, I have built a whole fleet of 20 footers, even without a prototype. I have shorty Box cars, flats, gons, and stock cars, all at 20 ft, to get around my tight curves. They look good together.

Dave, Thanks for your input on short boxcars, and thanks for posting pictures, I can appreciate the modelers that

stick to modeling techniques replicating the prototypes.

I sometimes wonder as I am placing my railroad cars and engines, on the tracks by the big 5 fingered crane,

if the modelers that count rivets, and have the ability and desire to build to the exact specs as the big guys do.

If these guys actually place their rolling stock, on the tracks by the means of large cranes, and use jacks and cranes to place derailed

cars and engines back on the tracks, or do they look around to see if no one is looking and use the big 5 fingered crane too.

I am only trying to be humorous, and have no intensions of offending anyone.

I really do appreciate people comments on 20 foot boxcars.

Thanks Dennis

Dennis and all thanks for the answers. I have always heard about the 20 footers, probably prompted by Bachmann coming out with the models in 1:20.3.

Interesting subject.

John Caughey said:

I’m not sure of the measurements, but these are from the turn of the century between 1800 and 1900…

John

John,

They may have been “turn-of-the-century” when photographed, but they date from 1860-1870. The wooden truck frames were phased out long before 1900. From my research, it seems the arrival of steel arch-bar trucks allowed them to make 24’ and then 28’ boxcars.

Pete Thornton said:

John Caughey said:

John

John,

They may have been “turn-of-the-century” when photographed, but they date from 1860-1870. The wooden truck frames were phased out long before 1900. From my research, it seems the arrival of steel arch-bar trucks allowed them to make 24’ and then 28’ boxcars.

Excellent information Pete, thanks for enlightening us.

Your research sparks my old thinker and I concur regarding truck upgrades.

My time line was general, I can’t even remember family birthdays!

John

Dennis Rayon said:

Dave, Thanks for your input on short boxcars, and thanks for posting pictures, I can appreciate the modelers that

stick to modeling techniques replicating the prototypes.

I sometimes wonder as I am placing my railroad cars and engines, on the tracks by the big 5 fingered crane,

if the modelers that count rivets, and have the ability and desire to build to the exact specs as the big guys do.

If these guys actually place their rolling stock, on the tracks by the means of large cranes, and use jacks and cranes to place derailed

cars and engines back on the tracks, or do they look around to see if no one is looking and use the big 5 fingered crane too.

I am only trying to be humorous, and have no intensions of offending anyone.

I really do appreciate people comments on 20 foot boxcars.

Thanks Dennis

The HO guys call it HOG (Hand Of God), as in you are HOGging that car or locomotive.

Well, for me, I’m more interested in your design techniques and software tool chain, not rivet counting :slight_smile: Outstanding work. Perhaps you could post up some stuff in the tech modeling forum about how you go from a design to cutting out the parts? That would be way cool.