Large Scale Central

12 Days till Mik 2024

Can you fire up the " Way Back Machine" and re-post that whole experience ?

1 Like
1 Like

Probably the best ‘unofficial’ story of how the ‘Napkin Build’ came to be.

1 Like

And he had the nerve to refer to us as napkin builders

2 Likes

Bob(s)…

What a set of stories! Thank you so much!

Like many new to LSC, I think I’d have enjoyed chatting with Mik, and am glad that he inspired the LSC to think outside the box, build it and celebrate it. I hope his family are aware that his legend lives on and the impact he’s had in the LSC community.

Bill

PS. @rmccown-admin Bob, I wish I had found your group 20 years ago when my wife brought some track back to Broken Hill from Sydney , so I’d have some size reference for puttering around making “stuff” (as we couldn’t build a railroad). It is an amazing rabbit hole to have fallen through. Yet, the deeper I get into LSC and the more I find, the more I get ‘curiouser and curiouser’.

I’d have loved to been exploring when this rabbit warren was smaller. On the other hand we’d would have had to pack a hellacious amount of LSC inspired builds for 4 house moves.

@Bob_Cope Bob, thanks for the napkin link to @Boomer_K_MOGWAI Boomers website. I went off-piste after reading the Napkin story and Boomer’s Page finally provided the answer to @Rooster Rooster’s reference of what is a roundy-round.

Of course, now I’ve had to apply to become a member of the “Triple R” aka “R3” aka IARRR aka International Association of Roundy Round Runners. …and am intrigued on your knighting.

1 Like

Cool!

Disclaimer: I have NEVER built a napkin! :innocent:

roundy round is for lazy people.
those who have no hand free, when holding a drink and a smoke.
(like me)

but the very best is to build an automatized roundy round with passing sidings, half of the locos wired in reverse .
makes for interesting views and some spectacular train crashes…

Bill,
Never heard of the guys myself.

Hey, is this the 10th anniversary napkin-powered Mik?

According to the Boomer version of the story it is.

And by the way, Boomer sends his best to all the LSC folks, I just got off the phone with him.

Napkins. Hey - put napkins on the shopping list!

Ah, that’s good to hear Bob!

I didn’t want to note he hadn’t posted since ‘21.

Bill

That was about the time , maybe a couple of years before that , Boomer moved to the high back country in New Mexico with no internet, ( or a $1600 fee to be hooked up) and only comes out to visit on special occaisions

Well here’s to you Boomer…RRR #1

RRR-3(small)

2 Likes

Rooster,

I’m not surprised you haven’t heard of them. Their founder last posted something to his followers in 2021.

I recently discovered the Triple R still operates off grid in the remote mountains of New Mexico. Reportedly, it’s not just a local or regional group of roundy-round folk… it’s INTERNATIONAL. (Like IHOP)

Their website states they have no dues, no meetings and no standards, so I think I have a chance of getting in! (Especially as I am international and it fits into my schedule.)

Their membership surprisingly include a lot of LSC heavy hitters, too. :baby_chick:

Here’s the secret link to their membership page:
https://cibolalmrr.com/triple-r/

Bill

Korm I agree, and if I’ve read your profile correctly you are very international too and right now the exchange rate for having no dues is quite in our favour! So I suspect now is as good a time as ever to put in an application.

I don’t even think you have to state your preference in donuts, however Bob Cope Triple R member #7 (Knight of the Sacred Donut, Certifier of all things round) @Bob_Cope might have an opinion on that.

I put the triple R page link on my reply to Rooster who apparently didn’t know “roundly-round” had more singnicance than just being a posh phrase.

Bill

1 Like

i’m not so sure.
i am with Mr. Marxs (the funny one, not the romancier)
why should i join a club, that accepts people like me?
(and nobody asked me. hrmpf)

greets,korm

ps:
psssst! don’t tell anybody else!

poor Rooster must have had too many cockfights, afecting his memory.
he doesn’t even remember, that his maiden… eh, chickenname is on that list.
but don’t tell anybody!

1 Like

I miss boomer. I am glad to hear he is still alive and kicking. . .and screaming. . . And bitching. . .and complaining. Miss you boomer

1 Like

Never heard of the guy myself Devon?

Funny thing is on the old website we had the option ti sport our badge , I kind of miss the badge and tagline !, but then again we are not supposed to sign our names at the bottoms of our posts since they are redundant.