Large Scale Central

12 Days till Mik 2024

Your theme for 2024 @Dave_Taylor has to be at least as good as your libretto! Kid-zillla and I just sang it; it works…sort of…

Eric

2 Likes

Did you record it to share?

Mik would have loved this. Im sure he is looking down and thinkin you guys are crazy…

1 Like

Someone needs to fill him in on the napkin drawings…

1 Like

Can you fire up the " Way Back Machine" and re-post that whole experience ?

1 Like
1 Like

Probably the best ‘unofficial’ story of how the ‘Napkin Build’ came to be.

1 Like

And he had the nerve to refer to us as napkin builders

2 Likes

Bob(s)…

What a set of stories! Thank you so much!

Like many new to LSC, I think I’d have enjoyed chatting with Mik, and am glad that he inspired the LSC to think outside the box, build it and celebrate it. I hope his family are aware that his legend lives on and the impact he’s had in the LSC community.

Bill

PS. @rmccown-admin Bob, I wish I had found your group 20 years ago when my wife brought some track back to Broken Hill from Sydney , so I’d have some size reference for puttering around making “stuff” (as we couldn’t build a railroad). It is an amazing rabbit hole to have fallen through. Yet, the deeper I get into LSC and the more I find, the more I get ‘curiouser and curiouser’.

I’d have loved to been exploring when this rabbit warren was smaller. On the other hand we’d would have had to pack a hellacious amount of LSC inspired builds for 4 house moves.

@Bob_Cope Bob, thanks for the napkin link to @Boomer_K_MOGWAI Boomers website. I went off-piste after reading the Napkin story and Boomer’s Page finally provided the answer to @Rooster Rooster’s reference of what is a roundy-round.

Of course, now I’ve had to apply to become a member of the “Triple R” aka “R3” aka IARRR aka International Association of Roundy Round Runners. …and am intrigued on your knighting.

1 Like

Cool!

Disclaimer: I have NEVER built a napkin! :innocent:

roundy round is for lazy people.
those who have no hand free, when holding a drink and a smoke.
(like me)

but the very best is to build an automatized roundy round with passing sidings, half of the locos wired in reverse .
makes for interesting views and some spectacular train crashes…

Bill,
Never heard of the guys myself.

Hey, is this the 10th anniversary napkin-powered Mik?

According to the Boomer version of the story it is.

And by the way, Boomer sends his best to all the LSC folks, I just got off the phone with him.

Napkins. Hey - put napkins on the shopping list!

Ah, that’s good to hear Bob!

I didn’t want to note he hadn’t posted since ‘21.

Bill

That was about the time , maybe a couple of years before that , Boomer moved to the high back country in New Mexico with no internet, ( or a $1600 fee to be hooked up) and only comes out to visit on special occaisions

Well here’s to you Boomer…RRR #1

RRR-3(small)

2 Likes

Rooster,

I’m not surprised you haven’t heard of them. Their founder last posted something to his followers in 2021.

I recently discovered the Triple R still operates off grid in the remote mountains of New Mexico. Reportedly, it’s not just a local or regional group of roundy-round folk… it’s INTERNATIONAL. (Like IHOP)

Their website states they have no dues, no meetings and no standards, so I think I have a chance of getting in! (Especially as I am international and it fits into my schedule.)

Their membership surprisingly include a lot of LSC heavy hitters, too. :baby_chick:

Here’s the secret link to their membership page:
https://cibolalmrr.com/triple-r/

Bill

Korm I agree, and if I’ve read your profile correctly you are very international too and right now the exchange rate for having no dues is quite in our favour! So I suspect now is as good a time as ever to put in an application.

I don’t even think you have to state your preference in donuts, however Bob Cope Triple R member #7 (Knight of the Sacred Donut, Certifier of all things round) @Bob_Cope might have an opinion on that.

I put the triple R page link on my reply to Rooster who apparently didn’t know “roundly-round” had more singnicance than just being a posh phrase.

Bill

1 Like