Large Scale Central

The Triple O Closes its 2020 Project List

Aloha All!

Yay! We finished all the projects we set out for ourselves this year! I even came close to mastering the “straight cut.”" This last was a project of opportunity prompted by Pete Lassen’s kind donation of some couplers for a transition car to let our eggliner, the Oma Bea-liner in Triple O service, pull some cars around the railroad. It was a light project while I worried over the mill intended to keep the kids involved, to give me a chance to do battle with “Sabre Saw,” and to make sure we had a suitable car to pull their Mini-Mik creations.

The project actually began in September. Kid-zilla immediately recognized the implications of the couplers…

…and we quickly had a little flat car based upon our cane car design…

This was pretty fun…

…but insufficiently whimsical for the Oma Bea-liner. Back to the shops the transition car went, where some scrap craft-stick bits provided walls to convert it to a small gondola…

…and then it was off to the paint shops where the project stalled as the girls alternated between brining the car to life and their own projects. Somewhere along the line we found a small ornament from a plant bought years ago, and, in the capable hands of Oldest Daughter, it got new life. At long last, it all came together for “Oma Bea’s Honey” delivery wagon:

Video: "Oma Bea’s Honey" running empty after a successful day of sales from the rails

Lots of wheel sets and couplers left to put to use in service on the Triple O! Thanks to both Pete and Rooster for the bits! For now, clear the rails, the Mik is coming! With this little project completed, we are ready!

On behalf of the car and paint shops of the Triple O,

Thanks and Aloha!

Eric