Large Scale Central

What is the proper protocol for running trains

Just wondering when you go to visit a layout and you want to bring a train to run, I would think you need to know what type of system he/she is running, be it rail power, DCC, or batter power (dead rail). What do most of you do if your engines are setup different then the owner layout, I would think just don’t bring something to run if your system is different and enjoy his/her trains, what is protocol for this and what do most do.

trainman

The best thing to do would be to check with the owner of the layout.

I’m battery powered and I’ve run on DCC, regular track powered layouts, and dead rail.

You just have to make sure if you run batteries, the locomotive power is isolated from the track.

If they haven’t invited people to run their own equipment beforehand, then I would ask the owner if it is ok to bring your own. I would also ask what they are using to see if your stuff is compatible not only for power, but minimum radius’ and clearances too.

I am building my permanent layout now. When it is finished I will have two lines. I run DCC but most, if not all others, in my club run DC or Battery and several do not have a working layout. I will be able to quickly switch the larger radius line up for DC or no power if anyone wants to bring their own equipment.

John - Since you have decided on Railpro R/C I assume you will be using battery power. As Ken said, so long as you disconnect the track power pick ups and there is an open circuit between the wheels, you should be able to run on any layout. But yes, always ask first (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I always let people know that my track has no electrical power, everything is either

battery power or folks can run live steam, providing that the live steam engine can be

remotely controlled, as it would be very difficult to be along side the live steam to

control it manually…

Other than the above requirements, folks can bring their engines and run them…

Just because you can bring something that WILL run, doesn’t mean you should. Remember a host can only test the track for his own locomotives - and yours may end up having LOTS of problems, even IF you use the same couplers! Many hosts, such as Andy, have more than enough locos to handle ALL of the visitors and really makes it easy to NOT bring your own (although I HAVE done so!)

I would like to add to test run (thoroughly) whatever you take first. I bought 2 units to run that were track powered. Found out the hard way, one was wired backwards. It mattered not which one, everything kept shorting out. Boy, was my face red, and I was frustrated I could not run!

Bruce Chandler said:

Just because you can bring something that WILL run, doesn’t mean you should.

my layout is dc analog. when i have people over i let the guests run their stuf, mainly because some don’t have layouts of their own