Large Scale Central

Invisible Fences for Dogs and Electric Trains: Compatible?

Howdy,

Haven’t posted for a while. I am well into my garden railway build (separate post to be started). My question has to do with any considerations for installing an invisible fence for dogs and my garden railway. I am also building a garden pond within the raised garden and we have 2 Labrador Retrievers that will need to be kept out of the raised garden railway/pond area. The raised area is mortared rough-hewn stone about 9” off of the surrounding terrain.

Initially I will be using analog LGB. I wanted to consider placing invisible fence perimeter wiring just inside my raised railway. My concern is that I will have my track running very close to this perimeter for long stretches. Will this cause interference? Any future concerns if I transition to digital control of my trains?

Thanks,
Sam

Sam, since you don’t want the dogs in the train area but want to use an invisible fence. Why plant the wire in the train area instead of two feet away from the train area border ?(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

David. Fair question and one I considered. For one it is easier to place within the raised untouched/unencumbered soil area Vs burying it in my thick sod. Secondly, I will use less dog fence perimeter wire if it is within the border of the raised garden. It is not a show-stopper to place it outside of the garden. I was just looking for anyone with experience with this issue. Thanks for chiming in.

Sam Griffith said:

I was just looking for anyone with experience with this issue. Thanks for chiming in.

Sam,

How I read your original post perhaps you may be the first! I personally would just proceed on and try it then let us know how it worked. However that’s only how I would do it myself.

Sam, Although I don’t have specific experience with the installation you are proposing, I do have quite a bit of experience with the “invisible” fences and I doubt you will have any trouble with any future RF signals you may use for the RR. Anyway, once your labs learn where the fence is, it won’t matter whether it works or not, they will stay clear.

Thanks for your inputs. I appreciate it. Yeah, my labs are very curious and the pond water may be a bit much for them to resist!!!

Dan - it sounds like you have some first hand experience with these rascals! LOL!

One of my gals…

Sam Griffith said:

Thanks for your inputs. I appreciate it. Yeah, my labs are very curious and the pond water may be a bit much for them to resist!!!

Dan - it sounds like you have some first hand experience with these rascals! LOL!

One of my gals…

Absolutely beautiful lab, Sam. Yeah, I’ve had several labs over the years and some hard headed ones, too, but none have been willing to go through the fence. Here are my two …

My black lab once was all it took …never did she cross that area…

Now My yellow lab …she tested it all the time …

That was a while ago … I would imagine they have improved the system…

Dan - great action shot!

Mick - thanks for making my lil girl “life-size”. Can you show me how you did that?

Sean - yeah, we have had Labs since the 90’s and we have had a stubborn one (or 2)!