Large Scale Central

Inertia and Whistles

I added a “whistle” module to my Accucraft live steam Countess. It’s a little electronic device from RCS that plugs in to a spare channel on the receiver. You just add a speaker. I used a $4 Radio Shack 1" speaker with the bottom of a pill bottle as an enclosure.

The first part of the video shows the drag/inertia car in use. Results are inconclusive.

I am conversing with Tony at RCS about a US version with a big 3-chime whistle sound. My PRR K4 needs it! One aspect is the “echo” (which you can hear as the whistle tails off in the video.) Should a model have a whistle which sounds like it is travelling in the hills?

I like the idea of the whistle module, and a US 3 chime would be great. Echo doesn’t bother me, but technically it shouldn’t be there. I have some great EBT 14 & 15 whistle recordings with plenty of PA hills echo (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

My sparkies need the opposite function of your drag/inertia car. I need the inertia going uphill and the drag going down (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

I have some great EBT 14 & 15 whistle recordings with plenty of PA hills echo

“JRad captures the EBT on Lo-Fi” perhaps? That’s actually a good one, and the chime whistle would work for many different locos - like my PRR K4. I’ll send the file to Tony and see if he likes it.

Let’s see if we can put it here somewhere.

http://www.largescalecentral.com/filesharing/file/view/17536/ebt-14-15-100905-001-mp3

Naw, that makes you do the download. Here’s a video version with some old photos of mine. Shortened to just the whistles - the 2 locos are distinctly different.

Tony indicated that we can ask for a specific sound file to be loaded for our favorite loco.

I didn’t know that one was out there. Probably the sound track from this Vimeo video…

East Broad Top Double Headed Coal Train from Jon Radder on Vimeo.

Hello Jon and Pete.

The module that Pete has is tiny. About the size of a thumbnail. No adjustments just a whistle. A recording of the L & B “LYN”.

Just plug it in to the 5v R/C system and add a 8 ohm speaker.

They are made by Mike Ridley in the UK and are part of a range of Tug Boat horns etc

Mike can load any 16 second (max) sound clip for the cost of the pcb and cable. The logic is triggered by a pwm (servo) signal on any spare channel.

I do acknowledge that technically echo should not be there. However, IMHO, it is the echo that gives the sound “character”.

Again, IMHO, I believe the echo is what steam whistle fans like because that is what they actually hear from a loco. The problem usually is that when a good whistle sound is available, it is often accompanied by other extraneous sounds such as chuff, rail clik etc which is usually not easily removed.

I understand that a suitable USA mainline whistle would be in demand. Mike will kindly do whatever I ask of him with regards to the products from his range that I sell.

His range consists of directional constant brightness lighting, ditch lights and an array of R/C switches for turning stuff on and off.

If Jon would give us permission to use the clips in the videos I am sure we could come to some sort of equitable agreement as their application.

There is also a way of using existing stand alone sound systems such as MyLocoSound, Phoenix and Dallee with Live Steam locos, no matter what voltage they would normally operate on. However, doing it that way, could be a bit more complicated depending on voltage requirements.

I didn’t know that one was out there. Probably the sound track from this Vimeo video…

Wow. #15 and #14 all dolled out in tourist brass. 2005? Must have been earlier. I like #14s whistle - it sounds like a regular US 3-chime as used all over the Pennsy and other lines. And why would it not be the same - they all came from Baldwin! Tony can sell it as a “U.S. 3-chime” and we’ll know it’s actually our favorite EBT loco.

Jon - as you’ll see from Tony’s message, we need to pick a 16 second whistle from your recordings, and give Tony the right to sell it? OK by you?

Jon Radder said:

East Broad Top Double Headed Coal Train from Jon Radder on Vimeo.

Hell this would make a great ringtone …for my Flip phone…

I’m certain it was 2005. There was only one October in the 2000’s when both 14 and 15 were in steam. 15 had just gone back into service from her rebuild and 14 was making it’s last trips as it’s waiver was expiring. I checked the date on the EXIF data for the recording: October 9, 2005.

If you or Tony want to do the work to extract the sound, I have no problem with him using it.

@Tony. If you need something in writing, email me what you want me to say, or digitally sign - jon AT cvsry DOT com should work.

John;

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that the M1 Gas Electric being pulled backwards on the tail end ?

Fred Mills

Thanks Jon.

Peter has sent me the video which I will on-forward to Mike Ridley of MRW to see if we can actually use them with that hardware.

They seem pretty clean to me, with minimal, if any, background noise. They need to be clipped at the correct point and will require a bit of work on the fade out.
I have been in touch with Mike but have not yet heard back from him.

Perhaps we can get two or three different clips.

The hardware is already available of course so the time frame need not be excessive.

Whilst the volume is not super loud there is an audio take off from the player so an external amplifier could be used.

Whilst adding sound to a Live Steam loco is not new, an easy way of doing it has long been the drawback.

Fred Mills. said:

John;

Are my eyes deceiving me, or is that the M1 Gas Electric being pulled backwards on the tail end ?

Fred Mills

Low resolution video can be your excuse. That was Combine 14. I had to find a still to zoom on to get the number.

Hello Jon.

This is the first recording we will be using.

3 CHIME Whistle

Peter assures me it will be OK for many Gauge # 1 Live Steam locos.

Thank you for allowing it to be used.

This the ultra small pcb that simply plugs into any spare servo channel on an Rx.

This is the LYN card, but the 3 CHIME version is exactly the same.

A 5 CHIME version will be available at the same time.

Nice! My only live steam engine is a Shay, but I’m tempted to put that sound in it anyway! Not sure where i will put the speaker though. The water tank hides the servo and 4 AAA batteries, and the wood load hides the receiver. Maybe I an change to the tiny receiver Pete sent me with the Dx5e and get speaker, sound card and a receiver all in the wood load!

I will check your website for ordering details.

I have used this Radio Shack speaker in a couple of applications, including the whistle example on the video above.

https://www.radioshack.com/products/radioshack-8-ohm-mini-speaker?variant=20332224901

Specs include: “This mini speaker is 1-1/8” (29mm) in diameter and has wire leads."

It fits an old 35mm file canister or a pill can as a baffle - I cut them down to just a bit larger than the speaker depth, make 2 slits for the wires, and glue the speaker in.

Looks like you got all of their stock Pete; Sold Out. I likely have several similar speakers in my electronics junk from old headphones and maybe even laptop speakers.

Tony, I would be interested in at least 4 of these as well.

I would think It would be wise to get a recording for EBT #12’s whistle also since there are many of these live steam locos out there. Do we know of any good recordings of #12?

-Randy

Hello Randy.

Thanks for the interest.

I take it you are aware these plug in whistle sounds are intended for Live Steam R/C locos. As such they use any spare servo channel which also powers them.

They can also be used by battery R/C that employs regular Digital Proportional R/C control.

I take your point about adding other correct sounds.

If anyone has a good clear whistle of any prototype, it can be loaded into the device at the factory. Up to 16 seconds.

To whet your appetite there will very soon be a device available that can store 5 + sounds by the user