Large Scale Central

Bashing a Building

One of the buildings planned on my layout is for my grandson Caleb, he loves what I call Yellow Iron, heavy equipment. so I am building him Caleb’s Equipment company and a shop to work on their equipment out of a Colorado Model version of a tin warehouse. The problem with it it was way to short to have large equipment in it. It was 6" at the roofline, and I needed a 6" tall opening for the equipment to fit into the building. the crane boom and the reels on the back barely fit through the door.

After several different ideas were thrown about I came up with a workable plan. new doors were cut into the long sides, then the peak was removed off the original ends. I added the cut off pieces after they were cut in half to add the correct height to the building. I then took a 1x6 piece of plastic trim and cut it to the proper height to raise the sides to the correct height with the ends

The plastic wood was too plain as a slab of concrete, so I used an Awl a good friend made for me and this tool I have had for a while but forgot about it until I was looking for something else, its used to mark tenons for woodworking, but seems to work great for making brick/block grout lines. The block will be painted with a textured beige paint to give more rough look

Caleb who is 7 has already picked the colors from the paints I have available via Face time, so after a trip to the hobby store for some putty to fill gaps in my work, in about a week I should have more pictures

Any ideas of how much of the “block” wall should stick out? I am thinking about half, maybe a little less, but if it was flush with the inside I could put better bracing and support for everything

In case you want to know there is a picture of the tenon tool, aluminum, made by Woodpeckers, the holes in the middle where the awl or pencil fits are in 1/32nds increments. I can see more brick or block buildings in my future with this to help with the scoring, as long as it fits the piece .

In my experience, the metal supports are roughly centered on the concrete block foundation. Looks good.

i have seen buildings, where the bricks or concrete stick out. but then normally it has an outwards inclination on the topside, for rainwater to run off.

moreoften i have seen buildings, where the sheetmetal, or the wood planks hang over the outside of the wall.

In the last week or so I have painted and done most of the glue up on this building, today the last wall is clamped together and after the clamps come off some internal bracing will be added to give some more rigidity. The next on the list is to figure out if the roof will be attached or just resting on the building, and I really need to decide on a base for all my structures, so they can be placed on the layout.

NOTE: I noticed in the picture I have not glued up the final edge, doing that now!

As you can see I have to decide if the new large openings are always open to allow looking in at details or if they will be closed up somehow. We are back at my statement in a different thread as to in my minds eye I see buildings detailed like Ray Dunakin’s, but they wind up like kindergarteners in a hurry after a Monster Energy Drink binge, so it may be closed for now until I can round up some skills!

First thought is to see if a can, such as a Monster Drink will yield enough of a “door” to fill the opening, or if some unlucky politician will become the new donor of a door to Caleb"s Equipment Co. Also when I do the roof I have a feeling that I will need some sort of “V” over the peak’s seam since its not fitting as tight together as I would have hoped. Maybe after some sanding and filing I can get it to come together better. Second thought is hoping I do not have to spray more paint, as I am using Rustoleum and it almost always wants to shrink crack and make ugly any second coats.

Did you finish this ?

You might try this.: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Sequentia-1-42-in-x-8-ft-Prefinished-Vinyl-Wall-Panel-Moulding/3060129?cm_mmc=shp--c--prd--mlw--google--lia--128--interiorwallpanels--3060129-_-0&placeholder=null&gclid=CjwKCAjwiOv7BRBREiwAXHbv3ItBCiFReJVIRfq_atN27YieiX9OwhWxCOQsK_cQIeVGsNjo31lkaxoCpBMQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

coming soon

I have done everything except the roof, I was just finishing adding some internal bracing to provide some extra gluing surfaces, and maybe some spot to add some external lighting, so thanks Sean! I will check my Lowe’s or look online if it’s not available here. That looks just right for that job if it’s not way out of proportion.

I saw a video where a guy made 3 Colorado Structures buildings into a very nice train station, and he used a block of wood or plastic to add stability to a light over a door.