Large Scale Central

Trestle Question

I am rebuilding my trestle so it has a more sweeping curve than the original. When I made my first trestle I was pleased to find the original ladder system where the trestle was to be place retained the curve which allowed me to recreate the track plan much more easily. I recognize that the ladder was exposed to the elements for about two years which might have hardened the vinyl strips…but for my new trestle do you think if I created another ladder system first then cut it out…would it retain the shape I desire or would it straighten out once the tension is relieved…weird question I know.

Thanks,

Richard

Richard Mynderup said:

I am rebuilding my trestle so it has a more sweeping curve than the original. When I made my first trestle I was pleased to find the original ladder system where the trestle was to be place retained the curve which allowed me to recreate the track plan much more easily. I recognize that the ladder was exposed to the elements for about two years which might have hardened the vinyl strips…but for my new trestle do you think if I created another ladder system first then cut it out…would it retain the shape I desire or would it straighten out once the tension is relieved…weird question I know.

Thanks,

Richard

This is how I built my 2 trestles if this is of any help.

https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com/2020/01/january-2020-trestle-is-finished.html

https://ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com/2020/03/march-2020-low-trestle.html

Richard Mynderup said:

Thanks,

Richard

When I took mine up, the curves pretty much stayed put, even when taken apart. However, they still remained flexible enough to assume any curve I would have wanted.

Yea, ditto what Bruce said.

Richard Mynderup said:

Thanks,

Richard

Not a weird question Richard. Ken reused some of the composite ladder I had no use for on my RR and donated to him. It had been outside for (thinking) 10yrs ? Still works for him …guess it all depends on the material originally used.

OK. I don’t know if anybody really understood the question. It took me a couple of reads to get it. My answer is Yes, with a caveat…

Make sure you have a connector block on both sides of each cut when you take the saw to it, and several blocks in the curve. It is the blocks that hold the ladder in a curve. Once you remove the blocks, the ladder will relax some, but will retain some of the curve. It could be re-used as David states, and as individual strips will conform to a new curve.

Thanks for replying back to my post. And I’m appreciative of your suggestions.

I’m sorry if my original question was confusing to you. For clarity…the original ladder section that was eventually replaced by the original trestle was made of vinyl strips and blocks purchased at HD. It was exposed to the elements for about 2 years before I built the trestle. When I finally cut that section of ladder out it retained its shape and made a perfect template for the trestle bents. In other words I was able to put the bents under it and nail the side braces. When completed my son and I simply lifted the whole trestle up and fit like a glove. I am now rebuilding the trestle completely from scratch with fresh everything. I’d like to install the same vinyl material as a temporary ladder system but will only have it in place for the most a day. So my question is…since this vinyl is fresh will it retain it’s shape when cut like the more weathered original…from what a few of you are saying it sounds like yes but with a little flex. This makes total sense since the combination of side strips and the blocks will allow for that…

I hope this clears up the original question!

As an aside and perhaps a future post will be how to handle the new trestle with the wider curve butting up against a lower part of the mainline…I think I’ll have to be somewhat creative.

Richard

I’m sorry if my original question was confusing to you. For clarity…the original ladder section that was eventually replaced by the original trestle was made of vinyl strips and blocks purchased at HD. It was exposed to the elements for about 2 years before I built the trestle. When I finally cut that section of ladder out it retained its shape and made a perfect template for the trestle bents. In other words I was able to put the bents under it and nail the side braces. When completed my son and I simply lifted the whole trestle up and fit like a glove. I am now rebuilding the trestle completely from scratch with fresh everything. I’d like to install the same vinyl material as a temporary ladder system but will only have it in place for the most a day. So my question is…since this vinyl is fresh will it retain it’s shape when cut like the more weathered original…from what a few of you are saying it sounds like yes but with a little flex. This makes total sense since the combination of side strips and the blocks will allow for that…

As an aside and perhaps a future post will be how to handle the new trestle with the wider curve butting up against a lower part of the mainline…I think I’ll have to be somewhat creative.

Richard

Richard

That’s how I understood it when I read it again. So yes, the new material will hold the curve so long as you keep the blocks separating the two ladder rails in place. I have formed mine on the ground, then lifted it for cleaning and painting before placing permanently…