Large Scale Central

Improvements/ changes to layout

Well since I had a day of yardwork and the boss? CEO/SWMBO couldn’t come up with anything else to do I got to do some trackwork. I have had most of the stuff to do a yard for my layout except a switch and for whatever reason I have refrained from just buying one. While staring at things I got the idea to rob a unused switch and put it to good use.

Right about where the handle of the shovel is there was a left hand switch/turnout just past the tree going into the area in the corner. I have not put anything there as of yet, it is still one area I cannot decide what to do , so I took that left hand turnout and used it to build my yard

Right now the track is all connected and except for making sure a locomotive can fit between the far turnout and the wall I think everything is where I want it. As someone on here was mentioning end of track devices and how they can be defeated, I doubt anything would get past the bricks or the wall, except the L.A. port engineer from the other day!

I did have to move 2 volunteer plants that decided to grow where the second right hand turnout needed to be placed, hopefully they will survive their little move. And looking at my notes from a year or so ago I was going to have enough room for a pair of locomotives to be able to pull in to the yard then uncouple, but it may take some work to make that all happen. The length of the right hand track is 20’ so I should be able to make some decent sized trains available to run and have room for one to pull in , they may have to drop some cars on the main line and shuffle them around to get them all in. Not quite real life operation, but for me it will be ok

Pete, the yard looks great. One question: How far is is between the far switch on the left and the wall? See arrows below. Is it long enough to get an engine clear of the switch?

I think I may have to adjust that, right now it’s 28” and that is just barely enough for my GP38 to squeeze in … I think , have not had it out there yet!