Large Scale Central

Beat the COVID Boredum

Hey all. I was conversing with Travis Dague and he suggested we have something to kill the time for those who are shut in or off work because of COVID. We need some positive in this time of uncertainty. So here is what I purpose; no rules no limits not voting; with the exception that it be a new project (Okay I don’t even really care about that but would be cool). Many of us are already building stuff but the challenge brings us together each year and maybe the same thing can happen now. Just start a new thread and identify it as “Beating the Boredom-(insert name here)” So we know who is doing what.

Any takers?

NotI said the semi essential person out there . Not even doing something heroic like hauling toilet paper, I am moving pool pebbles and sand blasting media , and mulch and water jet garnet, see boring stuff. Side note the one sandblasting agent I haul will do a great impression of coal, I should post a picture of this stuff if anyone wants some

I’m “teaching.” IOW: Wrote a month of daily activities for the munchkins and am testing retirement in the backyard.

If posting pictures wasn’t a pain in the rear-end I’d be in. I have been building quit a few projects.

Jason

Jason V. said:

If posting pictures wasn’t a pain in the rear-end I’d be in. I have been building quit a few projects.

Jason

Agree Jason, it is somewhat hard to post pics here. Wish it was just copy and paste…

By the way I have friends that live in Decatur. Maybe sometime we can meet when we go over… I live about 1 hr 20 min. away from Decatur…

‘essential service’ here (USPS rural highway contractor) - though I am slowly pecking away at revision to my indoor layout…

Devon, I am lost in my HO projects right now. My HO Hooterville Cannonball is slowly coming along. Its not a “new” project, since its been in process for a while now. Its not large scale. I haven’t started the thread yet, because I don’t need pestered on when it will be finished if I get sidetracked. Since my mom is semi-retired, she will sidetrack me. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Pete, I found a huge pile of that stuff behind an auto body shop years ago. Somewhere in my barn I have a 5 gallon bucket of that stuff. When my actual coal runs out (unlikely) I may try using that stuff.

I’ll be posting soon . . . Working through my stash of kits (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

COVID-boredom? what is that?

although i had retired (more or less) years ago, with only about 30 to 50 hours/month work, now this crown virus stresses me out with more than 25 hours work a week.(apart from being our own night-watchman)

we got a general store. so, selling food, we are one of six food outlets for about 5000 inhabitants.

if the situation doesn’t get worse, my main problem is the additional income in a time, where amazon is “frozen” by traffic restrictions.

Ok Devon, Ok ok ok. I give in. I started the thread.

https://largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/30453/-/view/post_id/402936

So now is you happie? (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Devon Sinsley said:

… with the exception that it be a new project (Okay I don’t even really care about that but would be cool).

Any takers?

Could doing something new to an eleven year old model count as a new project? It is, after all a new idea.

A couple days ago I began pondering cutting holes in the side and making that a bay window caboose …

… and even what color to paint the bay window assemblies.

… and whether they should represent wood or metal.

I’m leaning toward metal.

Or, I guess the other ‘new’ thing I could do to it is decide what color and font and size of lettering to apply & where to place it.

(just yesterday I finally got around to ordering marker lanterns for it, from Ozark Miniatures. was going to make some but decided to give my hands a break on that one)

But if a bay window is added to the side that will change the roadname placement equation …

Travis Dague said:

Jason V. said:

Jason

Agree Jason, it is somewhat hard to post pics here. Wish it was just copy and paste…

By the way I have friends that live in Decatur. Maybe sometime we can meet when we go over… I live about 1 hr 20 min. away from Decatur…

It is copy and paste, once you’ve uploaded the pics to your Freight Shad.

My problem is running out of space in my shed!

Travis Dague said:

Jason V. said:

Jason

Travis might just have too when all this blows over.

And John that is true… When you delete some to make room for more… Those pictures completely disappear from all your old post too.

Jason

That is why I resize all my pictures to 800 pixels wide. That way they don’t eat up the space in my shed.

Jason V. said:

Travis might just have too when all this blows over.

And John that is true… When you delete some to make room for more… Those pictures completely disappear from all your old post too.

Jason

I regretted doing that, but since there wasn’t money for space, I did what I had to do.

I reduce the pixels before uploading too.

Same me too

Devon,

I am I a split shift. Next week is my “on” week. I did seek some inspiration over the weekend, however…

My cane car project is at a standstill (local craft store sourced bits); OD is working her coach (emphasis on “her”); Glitchy Gustav remains a thought project (surgery on a guinea pig loco next weekend); and no space left on the lanai to start a much needed coaling station. Ah, but that leaves landscaping…rocks, dirt, salvaged 1:24-ish retaining wall; bored labor force…

More to follow!

Eric

That works Eric.

Erick, yea the craft stores being closed is a problem, but I was able to source out the silver Sharpie, that I needed for my current project, at Dollar General. Dollar General also has craft sticks, some glues, and a very limited selection of craft paint.

Since i already had a rather extensive collection of supplies (my mom calls it “junk”), I have been able to solder on.

There is also Amazon, and Walmart.com for those “have to haves”. Michael’s even has an online order/curbside pick up option for stuff now. Since I don’t know what stores are in your corner of the planet, you might have to look and see what other options are available to you.