Large Scale Central

lighting LGB coaches

all lite

all lite

switch

tapped

strip

Now that I have finished the painting on my new CFRR combine it is time to light it, going back to both my observation car and baggage car I did it pretty much in the same way. Used a RC car very small switch assy to turn it off and on, + a 2 cell AAA battery holder with a styrene strip down the center mounted in the factory stock location using copper foil tape for the wiring and 10mm cool white LED’s. First was trimming the clearstory panels in the center to make room for the bulb holding styrene strip and making a template for the switch. After the trimming and switch location fitting this time I found with the new battery holder I didn’t have to cut out any of the clearstory roof to make room for it. Used copper foil tape, type used to make stained glass windows just because when done there is no wiring hanging down just makes it neat. after drilling the styrene strip to mounting location and adding the foil tape, drilling small holes for the LED leads to go thru I soldered them to the foil after bending them down and cutting off the access be careful to index them correctly as to + here - there. Once installed I mounted the styrene strip to the top and wired up the switch to the LED’s and colored the LED’s with a yellow magic marker which helps town down the LED look. Have found that after 1 to 2 hours running the batteries seem to last for several months at a rate of running at night of 3 to 4 time a month.

tape

Bill,

You read my mind. I was about ready to write you and ask about your home-made interior lighting strips! As we are now in lock-down, I guess I’ll have to order that tape or wait until the end of the month. I have projects enough (thankfully) to get the Triple O’s crew through!

Aloha,

Eric