Large Scale Central

O scale trees

So someone, Pete, accused me of Devoning. Well at least of Devoning the On30 stuff. Well given that I was a tad distracted with the MIK I wouldn’t exactly say I was Devoning the On30 stuff. But now that the MIK is over I have returned to some On30 stuff. Trees. One thing I have been critical over the years about is the sparseness of most indoor layouts. Trees are used sparingly. For good reason, they are expensive and/or time consuming to make. A tree here and there for accent is nice but a forest is a momentousness undertaking. Never the less I am modeling a forest and forests need trees, lots of them. This may turn out to be a life long project making enough trees to see out my vision. But I am going to give it the college try.

One thing I am doing is making wire forms. This is something I can do while I am laid up. Its monotonous but its also pretty mindless. So as I have been unable or unwilling or unmotivated to do any other modeling I have been making tree forms. I am using 24 gauge single strand communication cable. There are 11 individual wires in a cable. I am using sets of 5 or 6 wires. since its O scale I am working with 1:48 and a forty foot tree is 10 scale inches long. So I am making trees in and around that neighborhood give or take. The main focus at this point in time is aspen/birch trees. You take your pick which one they will look like but a white barked clumping tree is what I am after.Here are the basic wire forms.

After the wire is twisted together and made into a form I coated the ones you see with either liquid latex or liquid nails. On this tree form (not an aspen or birch) you can see the liquid latex. For this maple style tree I am making extensive root wads so that I can have exposed roots. After I push it in the plaster I can tease away plaster and expose the bare root. In the finished tree you can see them a little.

After the many layers of liquid latex are built up you can paint. Liquid nails is so much thicker it can be applied in one shot. The liquid nails gives a rougher bark and the liquid latex a smoother bark. The white tree is latex and the finished tree is liquid nails.

The finished tree is for a diorama I am making for my sister. The foliage I will be using ground foam and likely many other things. The finished tree is woodland scenics foliage in two different colors to give the appearance of light and shadows. On the ground is some brown colored perlite to mimic dead leaves and the ground cover is a base of sanded grout and ground dried sage (the spice). I have a plant of it that is fairly large and I love the look of it. I plane to use foam, saw dust, coffee grounds, what ever to mix up the variety of looks for the different types of trees.

But at any rate this is what I have been doing post MIK. I am figuring somewhere in the neighborhood of 50 aspen/birch trees for some low land scenes before reaching the pine forests.

One thing about doing trees, especially a lot of them, is even though I don’t have a layout to put them on quite yet I know I will need a ton of them so this is a good thing to keep the juices flowing on the whole project.

Still needs a trim

looking Good Devon

Interesting …you’re good @ cutting them up … and not bad @ making them … you still need to plant some live ones so you can harvest some more … (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

While its true I accused you of Devoning, What I was reffering to was your comments on re-thinking about maybe putting a Tehachapi/ Williams Loop on one of your layouts, . I am still not sure if it is the outdoor G scale layout or the indoor Oho30HO,Z G or F scale (whateverthe letters are) layout. The trees are looking good so far, I am sure several dozen will make a convincing forest for the layout, and the ones you think are not “right” put them in the back or the middle. Devon on, my friend , Brain fog or not , you accomplish more than most and you generate a lot of discussion. If LSC had an “influencer” tag like YouTube, you would be the top one

Sean McGillicuddy said:

Interesting …you’re good @ cutting them up … and not bad @ making them … you still need to plant some live ones so you can harvest some more … (https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

You obviously do not pay attention very well (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Planted during construction of the layout. Growing well I might add.

Nice trees, Devon!

Devon Sinsley said:

Sean McGillicuddy said:

You obviously do not pay attention very well (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Planted during construction of the layout. Growing well I might add.

Your build was such a blur … It must of got missed in the fogg …

The On30 trees look really nice. The Super Trees armatures from Scenic Express are a nice way to make a lot of big trees on the cheap.

Doc Tom

Thanks Doc those do look good