Large Scale Central

2020 Challenge By Dennis Rayon.... Denray Machine Welding Supply

I appoligize For not having this located in the correct forum slot, maybe I get a fresh start### ### 2020 Challenge by Dennis Rayon … Denray Machine

As the owner of a full sized Steel fabricating business (Denray Machine Inc) I thought this could be very fitting. I recently found a picture of

a model that I really desired to make a model of. O’Neils Fabrication , ( https://www.sierrawestscalemodels.com/311.html ), I did not know it was

a kit in HO and O scale, but I googled the name and up popped the model shown in above link. Wow this thing had another side and even became more

intriguing for me. So I started drawing at least my design of this model in G gauge , then when this challenge came up with a chimney, I thought why not

use this as an excuse,( as if I really need one) to get started on part of this Business.

Since I own a business with similiar traits, Hmmmm why not use my business name in here to make it more fitting to home.

So this is going to be the small structure of the welding supply structure.

Forgive me for not using a NAPKIN, my sketching skills are not readable. But I can doodle a little in sketchup.

AutoSave_o’Niels Fabrication Dec 2019 2 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

No need to re-post all the others… just edit in a link to the other forum…

Thanks

Dave

WEll I don’t know whats going on here other than a nice building is coming along. When the entire model is mad it is going to require a very large cliff to hang off of.

Please forgive my inability to follow directions, I messed up in not posting in the right spot, Then management ask me to fix it and told me how.

Woooopppps i screwed up, Waiting on them to delete this one and i will restart and make a connecting link.

I only know CAD Programs and cnc operating programs

Looks like you may have copied and pasted to a new thread Dennis. It is all there or here so not a big issue(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif) And Thank you for the thread

Now to get started on the two gabled ends, I wanted to make the ends to look like used brick. They are lasered and then sprayed

with a brown paint. The brown paint is used to create a barrier to help stop any UV deterioration from the sun. Then the bricks are

painted mostly individually, I tried to represent that the brick appears to come from different structures. And then the back wall

has an area that has new brick, to represent maybe a failure or maybe something broke through the wall.

IMG_4799 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

I decided to make it easier to see my way of roughing up the brick, I painted the brown then used a brass brush on a dremel at a

slower speed and just hit as shown.

IMG_4848 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Then painted as shown

IMG_4857 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_4855 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

I like the idea of the new brick contrasting with the old, Dennis. Very realistic. You have a keen eye for the color variations in the brick, too. Great job. And as Hollywood pointed out, no worries about the thread, its all here and we’ll figure it out.

Seems like a lot of people are showing off their color variation prowess this year. Nice job, Dennis!

3D Printing

All the doors and windows and the top gable vents are all 3D printed.

Pictured in white is a fuel oil tank

Printed in gold are fuel and Oxy tanks and a couple small portable propane tanks.

A oxy/acetylene cart and the work bench with tools. The bench will be inside the structure to represent where repairs

are made. The cart may or may not be inside.

IMG_4846 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_4858 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_4847 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

You do a nice job printing and painting the details. Both the welding setup and the workbench with tools are fantastic. You gonna start selling these on the side, Dennis? :slight_smile:

I wish I had a 3D printer (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

I have received many compliments on my Structure

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

DENNIS

Love the brick work. That’s why I like your stuff. I would never have thought to so two radically different colors but the contrast of old and new is just very unique.

Impressive

Nice effect:

I decided to make it easier to see my way of roughing up the brick, I painted the brown then used a brass brush on a dremel at a

slower speed and just hit as shown.

IMG_4864 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

My little table saw set on about 46 degree, with the board with a notch in the middle, so the board to be cut can slide over the blade and cut the 45 and not lose any of its size.

IMG_4866 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

IMG_4865 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

After cutting all 4 sides to a 45 degrees, placing titebond 3 glue and using a pinner with 1" pins, I pin each side, holding the gun

at an angle insuring a much more secured joint.

IMG_4868 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

Now it is time for the floor, Some times I prefer the 2 sided push/pull hand saw, easy to control and cuts very straight.

I will use a 1x4 as a straight edge.

IMG_4869 by Dennis Rayon, on Flickr

I like the sacrificial fence, Dennis. Going to be a fine looking building when complete.