Large Scale Central

1st passenger engine

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7921415/Tug-war-breaks-worlds-passenger-steam-engine.html

My computer got attacked and Firefox had to be terminated when I was on the Daily Mail website after reading that article. Handle with Care!

Trust the Daily Mail to get their facts confused. “Locomotion #1” and “Derwent” were parked on a plinth in Darlington Bank Top station, the main line station for trains on the north-south London-Edinburgh route for about 100 years. The plinth was between the main up and down platforms at the end of the branch platforms for the coast line to Middlesbrough and Whitby. I lived in M’bro in my youth and we often saw them sitting on the station quietly watching Deltics and Type-4s, and more recently seeing preserved mainline steam excursions.

Darlington North Road station was on the East-West Stockton & Darlington Railway, and is preserved as a museum. (It is also where they built Tornado and are now building the P2.) I doubt they have any rights or history on their side, as they only took Locomotion on loan from the NRM.

Incidentally, my computer got attacked and Firefox had to be terminated when I was on the Daily Mail website. Handle with Care!

No problems… what ad blockers are you running, AD Block Plus and Ghostery blocked the crap from that site easily.

Are you sure you were attacked, or did your browser just lock up?

Greg

Are you sure you were attacked, or did your browser just lock up?

Well, this bright red screen popped up with a yellow box WINDOWS WARNING that someone was attempting to steal my logons and passwords, lots more bullshit and CALL MSN IMMEDIATELY. Yeah, right. It locked the whole browser - fortunately I know how to bypass the little red X.

[For those who don’t know - right-click the taskbar, open the Task Manager, identify and highlight the offending application (e.g. Firefox) and then click “end task”.]

So, the other question, what blockers do you have in your FireFox?

Pete Thornton said:

Well, this bright red screen popped up with a yellow box WINDOWS WARNING that someone was attempting to steal my logons and passwords, lots more bullshit and CALL MSN IMMEDIATELY.

That sounds a lot like this, https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/received-msn-virus-warning-call-800-number/349e6ec6-9eb9-49ff-8de8-9d61d1ba96a4

Bruce Hagen ~ MVP Replied on April 18, 2016

Nothing should have been lost unless you called that number and let them take control of your computer.

Tech Support Scams Pop-Ups on the Rise
https://blog.malwarebytes.org/fraud-scam/2014/11/psa-tech-support-scams-pop-ups-on-the-rise/
“These pages are affiliate driven and in fact can be linked to malvertising as well, since they often piggy back on dubious ads.”

Greg Elmassian said:

Though I am not the person you are asking, I will comment that in a perverse sort of good fortune, thanks to my set of the effects of autism I Have To run multiple sets of ad blockers, script blockers and Especially GIF blockers or the web would be unusable to me.

A side effect is that some websites will be broken and some will flat out prohibit their use while you are running ad blockers, but that is acceptable collateral damage compared to not being able to use the internet at all.

ALT F4 will shut down open windows and apps too, like Firefox. Sometimes I get the windows needs updated now window in Firefox and the red x doesn’t work.

Greg Elmassian said:

Very few. I rely on Norton (which often tells me it removed something, or stopped a page due to a virus,) plus my router has Trend Micro’s AiProtection, from which I sometimes see messages telling me it stopped something or other. It is adequate most of the time.

OK, you need to add to add a browser plugin, there is something called Norton Safeweb that should be installed.

I would recommend 2 plugins for FireFox, which have served me for years… AdBlock Plus, and Ghostery… be sure to configure Ghostery to “block all”… both are free and I have had them installed on approximately 500 workstations.

Greg

there is something called Norton Safeweb

OK, OK, I got it installed now.

Greg Elmassian said:

OK, you need to add to add a browser plugin, there is something called Norton Safeweb that should be installed.

I would recommend 2 plugins for FireFox, which have served me for years… AdBlock Plus, and Ghostery… be sure to configure Ghostery to “block all”… both are free and I have had them installed on approximately 500 workstations.

Greg

Remember FREE doesn’t last forever.

So, you actually had nothing protecting your browsing time, antivirus does nothing until you try to download a file… well, you got off easy I guess… suit up, the nasties are out there… reading about the norton tool, I would still recommend you add the 2 software plugins… my best advice…

Greg

Rooster ’ said:

Greg Elmassian said:

Greg

Remember FREE doesn’t last forever.

Bump for post count