Large Scale Central

Train Shed for the RC&TRrr

Thought I’d share a few pictures of my summer project converting a Tuff Shed into a train workshop/storage facility. Insulated the walls and added some electricity and lighting, as well as a window type AC unit. All my locomotives and rolling stock will be housed here. My next phase this week is to build the 20" deep staging area for the train to go out the pet door onto the railroad. It will be nice to free up our dining room table of all train related projects…

Richard

Nice, what is the overall dimensions of the shed? It looks tall in the pictures too.

Greg

Greg, the shed is 8x12 overall. When we purchased it at the HD it didn’t look that big in the parking lot…when they built the thing in our backyard my wife and I were surprised at the size. We’ve since gotten used to it and think it is going to work really well. It’s tall enough to stand up comfortably. I’m going to build a 20" deep shelf along the entire length of the left side wall above where the track is laying on the floor. Planning to lay about 3 strips of track and a couple of switches for staging the trains. The next thing (hopefully before I go back to work as a teacher) is to add a bridge the outside that will connect to the railroad.

It’s supposed to get to 107 today and I’ve got the little AC unit on…cool as can be in the shed!

Richard

Richard,

consider adding a one legged turntable / kind of a mini fiddle yard. this would be one loco length of you longest loco, and can pivot between the three tracks. I have one on one end of my railroad and it works great, it allows you to pull a train in and drop your train, then run around it on an escape track. I will try to get you a picture tomorrow to show you mine. it doesn’t take up much space, and could possibly be configured to fold up.

Sorry it has taken so long but my though would be to combine the sector plate in this picture with hinged section in second picture

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2560/2019%20updates/DSC_4169.JPG)

this flip up section,

(https://www.largescalecentral.com/FileSharing/user_2560/2019%20updates/DSC_4170.JPG)

note that the hinges were raised to rail height for a smooth transition on the track

Al P.

I don’t understand. (there is lots I don’t understand, but that’s another subject) Please explain.

Rick,

the thought was that something like this sector plate was added to his stub end yard, on a fold up section, he could then drive trains strait into the shed, then fold up when he needed to close the doors.

AL P.

I get it now (I was confused too), make a fold up sector plate… does a double duty

have the moving part fold up…

Greg