Large Scale Central

Railroad photography tips

I saw this article in an email from B&H Photo, and thought some of you guys might find it interesting:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/explora/photography/tips-and-solutions/15-tips-for-better-train-and-railway-photos?utm_medium=Email%201722705&utm_campaign=Content&utm_source=WeeklyContent%20190511&utm_content=Explora&utm_term=15-tips-for-better-train-and-railway-photos&encEmail=A4DD7D3A43CBD17660DAAC1302184518C7619B82F578003A14D7A90C9FB14E97

Thanks Ray - That was an interesting read.

The part about safety should be a must read for everyone who wants to photograph trains. There have been too many stories lately of people not heading those warnings.

Nice, Ray. Got any of your own shots to share?

Well since Ray hasn’t posted any, I guess I will.

Midnight in Osier CO.

And one from the D&S

This one is an iPhone shot.

Enjoy.

Beautiful work, Dave. Love it.

Concerning Ray’s link to tips on taking better pictures of trains, I couldn’t make up my mind if it’s funny, or sad, or ridiculous, or tragic, or wise, or pathetic, or what? that the first tip would be, basically: “Don’t get yourself killed.”

All of the above John, all of the above. (https://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-frown.gif)

I think it was just last year, some woman was killed because she was standing on the end of the ties, right next to the rail, apparently trying to photograph a large steam train passing through. Just stood right there, ignoring the whistle, bell, etc until it hit her.

Having been in the cab on two occasions when I thought that we were going to hit a rail fan… Scared the poop out of me… On one occasion, we bumped the guy with the grab iron on the fireman side. I Yelled, but the whistle was blowing, and he didn’t hear me. Spun him around but he stayed up.

The Lady in Denver that was standing to close to the tracks, and was struck by a UP steam excursion and killed, was using a wide angle view, and apparently thought the train was further away.

NOTE: When using a wide angle lens, " OBJECTS IN THE VIEW FINDER ARE CLOSER THEN THEY APPEAR".

We love rail fans… but use some common sense also.

And One of my more favorite shots:

“Working on the Railroad”

Be safe out there!

Dave, great photos, especially the iPhone shot. If that’s you in makeup, whoa! And I thought I got dirty after two days on a C&T photo freight a few years back. Ruined a perfectly good ski jacket riding in the gon out to Antonito and back. I see the members of the C&T are touting the Number 315 photo run, but it’s not in our financial cards right now. I love them little locos.