Large Scale Central

Sources for a vertical boiler live steam engine

I guess this question should be for Shawn or Tom Bowdler, but anyone else can join in.

What is a good source and reliable company for a good vertical boiler steamer?

Just thinking and dreaming.

If you mean for Ga 1 then about the only choices are Regner Willi or Chaloner and Mamod Brunel. I can speak personally to the Willi, Jerry Bohlander likes his Chaloner and Pete Thornton has a Brunel.

Now if you want exclusivity, Jay Kovac is finishing up the third of three scratch built vertical boiler DeWintons upscaled to 7/8 from the 16mm Idris. I have #2 and really like it. Last Saturday we were doing a demo on my portable at a local feed store in the rain. With it’s ceramic burner and multi-tubed boiler by Justin Koch it lit easily, ran great and exhibited wonderful steam plumes.

Contact Jason for the Regner products or his custom build. I’m not sure where you order a Brunel.

Now if you’re talking about 1.5" scale, I’d be interested in that too since I’m a Big Boots and Western member thinking about moving up from 1:20 and 7/8.

Hi Ric,

I have 4 from 3 different manufacturers. All have oscillating cylinders.

Roy Wood in the UK makes a neat one with direct drive, so it is quite fast! It’s a model of a De Winton:

I have 2 Regner vertical boiler locos. “Otto” is an enclosed tram and is geared about 8:1. Regner’s get better as they get run in, and Otto, although only a single cylinder, will almost self start.

“Charlie” (renamed from Chaloner) is a Regner 2-cylinder so it self starts. Also geared about 8:1.

Incidentally, the prototypes are still running at Wicksteed Park in the UK: “Taffy” and “Chaloner”:

Finally, I have a Mamod Brunel, which is single cylinder and geared 8:1, but has a decent ceramic burner with an easy-to-access jet, plus a proper lubricator, all for less than $500.

Let’s not forget the latest Regner, “Henry”, which is vertical boilered. Seems pretty similar to “Otto” but made of wood.

There is one more that I’d like to get, a UK DeWinton kit from a manufacturer whose name escapes me - it has 2 cylinders in-line next to the boiler between the frames - more prototypical. (Incidentally, not one of the models is actually prototypical - you need proper valve gear for that! Maybe put a 2-cylinder Shay engine in one?)

There is also at least one electric version, produced by PDF models, also in the UK.

If you google Dewinton live steam, you’ll find that Maxitrack make a 5" gauge version.

Finally found the other vertical boiler unit - a model of the B&O Grasshopper (well, not a really good grasshopper, compared to the Aster version. Which is also vertical boilered, btw.)

https://www.ministeam.com/acatalog/Hielscher-Grasshopper-I–G-1830-HI_010500.html#SID=337

Here’s the Aster for comparison:

Ministeam also sell this beauty:

You can occasionally find the Mamods on eBay, but the MSS facility in the USA (think it used to be in NY) doesn’t seem to exist any more. I got mine from Dreamsteam in the UK. It lists at 440GBP, but that includes 20% VAT which comes off for export. So my price was 350GBP or $437 plus shipping.

Re: Tom’s note on 7/8ths scale. You can see from the prototype photo that the Chaloner was a very small engine. Notice the plate bolted on the side so the driver had somewhere to stand. All the figures on my open locomotives are 7/8ths scale, and my Chaloner even has the plate on it for him to stand. Otto has a 1:19th (UK scale) driver, as the roof is too low for a 7/8ths guy.

Thanks Tom and Pete for the links and pictures. Yes, we are talking around 1:20.3 or something that runs on the same track. My interest in the ride on stuff has centered around the vertical boilers and now have 4 of them in different stages of construction and repair with 2 being operational. Currently modifying a new 2018 Silverado “carrying case” to accommodate this obsession. Its an interesting hobby in whatever scale.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I think all the vertical boiler engines have been covered although you can no longer get the Otto. Regner also makes the Henry in kit form that is available and I believe the Train Dept has them in stock. I did a review on it in Steam In The Garden. Another option is the BAGRS project engine. http://www.panyo.com/project/index.htm It uses a midwest engine and boiler, I believe they no longer make. But you can use any single cylinder and vertical boiler made as kits from Regner and you might be able to get some from Momad. Cost would be about the same as a pre built one. The Regner you cant go wrong with, great runners as well as the Roywood.

Henry

Image may contain: outdoor

Project engine with my own twist. If you google the project engine their are many different ways people have done it.

Image may contain: plant, tree, outdoor and nature

Ric, I’d like to know more about your ride-on VB locos. (I remember you recently got a CliShay) Will some be 7.25 and some 7.5 or regaugable? I’m thinking of a Plum Cove electric chassis on which I would build my own body. The Silverado is a great choice and I know you liked riding in mine in Maine.

Since this is the internet and all have an opinion I think the Regner Willi and Chaloner would be the best choices. Or if you go with Jason’s loco you’d also gain exclusivity. To my eye the outside hung cylinders of the Roy Wood (I’ve only seen it run on video) look strange when it wobbles down the track, of course to some that could be it’s charm. The Otto and Henry have smaller boilers and cylinders than the Willi. The Brunel motor is quite tall in comparison to the rest of the loco but the price is right, though hasn’t the pound come up in relation to the dollar since the Brexit scare has calmed a bit? The Aster grasshopper only runs for 15 min. I have a BAGRS converted to a gas fueled ceramic burner and it’s a hoot despite being the messiest loco I’ve ever seen though you can’t beat the whiring chains. Parts to build one are harder to come by than they used to be.

Please keep us in the loop as you make your choice. I’ll likely have my Willi bash (Steam In The Garden contest 2nd place) for sale but I think it is spoken for. Almost forgot, also dredging up the past I have a Locomotion railbus which is also a vertical boiler and loosely based on a Sentinel steam vehicle. I might be willing to sell it.