Large Scale Central

My new Rail Broom Track Cleaning car

Here is a project I have been tinkering on. It is built on a Centerline Products track cleaning car that uses a paint roller to apply cleaning solution. I rigged up a Hartmann tank with a valve inside that drips rubbing alcohol onto the roller. The control for the drip is the “T” on top of the tank. I then had a thought to add a rail broom to this rig, bought one, was shocked at the price of adding a battery to it, plus I would have to build another control cab so I decided to go with track power. I used contacts from Bachmann passenger trucks to pick up the juice.

The shield was made from plexiglass and grids were added to the front windows to protect them and the operator from flying debris.

Since the video was made I lowered the brush a bit and painted some parts black.

This is a welcome addition to my working MOW equipment.

Looks good Todd. How well did it actually clean your brass rails?

Thanks Joe.

The brush does very little for the rails besides tossing junk aside. The drip of rubbing alcohol onto the roller does a Ok job, goo gone works better but it leaves the rail slippery. What wasn’t shown in the video was when another engine had to rescue the GP38 that had stalled out and was slipping too much on the goo gone heading upgrade.

The best track cleaning device I have is the scotchbrite pad on the pole sander but this rig is more fun to operate.

Todd,

I’ve had very good results using the Rail-Kleen head on a gondola and towing a homemade scotch brite car…

Good stuff Joe. Nice job on those custom cars.

I use the rail broom for getting leaves, twigs and errant ballast off the right of way.

I use the bridgemasters scotchbrite car for cleaning the track:

I use green scotchbrite, available in packs of about 6. I found adding some weight to the car helped it not derail over crossings and frogs.

Greg

This is my home brew cleaning car. A left over MDC truck, some dimensional lumber, a lead weight and 2 bent nails set to the proper gauge to keep the back end on the rails.

I put sanding screen or scrotchbrite on the rubber pad, and rubber band it on using the slot made from stacked Luan of different sizes. Then I tag it to my RS3 or F3 and drag it around the railroad a few times.

The rubber pad started life yellow, but has faded to an almost white colour, and it has groves pressed into it from use, so maybe this year I will replace the pad.

How do the nails track through switches and frogs?

Greg

They track through just fine. I tried to match the depth and gauge of normal wheel flanges. They are just left over finish nails. I usually run the thing at a normal speed, but it can go around my railroad at Mach .5 if I want it to.

Todd, nice video, I lower mine, and accept the faster wear on the brush, mine is a bit below the railhead. This cleans switch flangeways better, and will actually clear ballast from the top of the ties.

Yes, I would run the motor faster, and I have unknowningly been running mine at about 18 volts and it really cleans!

Since I have SS rail, I don’t need sandpaper like the “Rail Kleen” uses, and also I prefer to clean lower between the rails, which the “Rail Kleen” cannot. Different animals with slightly different actions and purpose.

Not saying this to put Joe’s unit down, just to state they are different, not the same for people considering a purchase of either one.

Greg

I lowered the brush about 1/8 of an inch and it is cleaning better now and a good thing too. My wife was working in the garden where the tracks run through and she got dirt and peat moss on the main!

I ran the sweeper car and it cleared all that junk out of there.

I used to run the wedge plow first to clear twigs and leaves that may have fallen since the last session but now the sweeper car has taken over this job and it is terrific.

This would be the ultimate setup…

No such luck Engine is not strong enough … too much push back …

I do use my Trackman 2000

and a couple Aristo track cleaning cars and run it as a caboose train !

Nice video Todd!

I like the blower, but it won’t dislodge ballast like the brush. We don’t have big leaves here in San Diego. That said, I’ve seen that blower in action, wow.

But, I agree, you cannot use the LGB TCL to move anything but itself (and it’s got to be in good shape to do that!)

Greg

Sean McGillicuddy said:

This would be the ultimate setup…

Sean your LGB track cleaner is telling me you need to put a rail broom on the front of it. Now that would be the ultimate!