Large Scale Central

Winter in Florida February 2018

This was filmed earlier this month on the “Big Boots and Western Railroad”. near Ocala, Florida and I felt was a good example of what goes on in Florida, each February. The crowd has now moved to the Ridge Live Steamers, near Dundee, Florida and will continue here through Monday and then on to other railroads for at least a couple of more weeks.

Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmbgbXE8fPo&feature=em-share_video_user

Man, I’ve been through Ocala a couple dozen times and never knew that one was there either.

You’d have to know it is there to find it. The sign is only up for meets and it’s located way back off of a country road in the boonies a ways SE of Ocala. I had it in my GPS and still drove right by the first time. It claims to be Florida’s largest 7.5" gauge railroad.

It was quite a get-together and may entice this small scaler (in live steam terms) to consider a ride-on. There were a couple of nice views in the video of the new Ga 1 track I was pleased to help build spearheaded by Fred Gandolfi. I had the pleasure of the first run on it the week before the meet with my “dirty” Accucraft Shay. Since I now live nearby I’ll be joining and running there often until I can build a track at home.

Fred took me for a ride behind his electric box cab and his live steam beam engine, lot’s of fun and nice people.

You can visit their web page www.bigbootsrr.com for lots more pictures from past meets.

Very impressive setup! Thanks for sharing this Ric, really enjoyed the video. Some cool equipment too. I have never seen some of those before,like the little gas mechanical looking critter towards the end. Would love to have one like that!

Tom, sounds like getting to the Bittercreek & Western out here on the central coast. It’s out a ways from town almost to the end of a country road.

Steve

Wow…the fat man at 21:55 has a comfort animal with him; at least it isn’t a peacock.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/2018/01/31/airlines-tighten-rules-comfort-animals-rather-than-wait-dot/1083895001/