Large Scale Central

GARDENING ON ELEVATED RAILWAY

I am planning to build an elevated railway to run live steam for the backyard. I would have preferred a ground-level layout but my wife advises that I’m getting older, not younger, and she’s probably right so elevated it will be. Anyway, I’m looking for suggestions as to how to add plants / shrubs / landscaping on an elevated railway.

Thanks

Keep them potted and make cut outs to set them in, drippers could be strung underneath, rising behind the plant for minimal distraction. The pots will help stunt growth keeping your scale investments in scale longer…

I’m glad I recently elevated mine, critters were too much trouble!

Robin Young said:

I am planning to build an elevated railway to run live steam for the backyard. I would have preferred a ground-level layout but my wife advises that I’m getting older, not younger, and she’s probably right so elevated it will be. Anyway, I’m looking for suggestions as to how to add plants / shrubs / landscaping on an elevated railway.

Thanks

I am also planning an elevated railway and mu plans include using PVC sewer pipe with large holes drilled into it filling with potting soil and putting plants in the holes.

The other idea I have had is using PVC roof guttering filling it with potting soil and planting directly into that.

Both would have drainage holes in the bottom and a drip irrigation system installed.

I have even toyed with the idea of hydroponics in the pipe.

Underneath I am planning a hedge of a flowering bush with a mowing edge around it.

My base will more than likely be galvanized cable tray lined with either weed control may or shade cloth and filled with gravel of a scale size for ballast. The track will be secured to the tray by screwing treated timber blocks even space and secured to the tray with the track screwed to the blocks.

Graeme, Don’t bother tying your track down. Let it float as a whole, it won’t go anywhere, if the ends are secure to each other. My temperatures vary by 80degrees F. The rails grow and shrink with the seasons. Being free to float on at least 1/2" of ballast, works best here, no kinks. I have seen lateral movements up to an inch total where two long tangents forced a curve to bulge. Trains handled it as if it was planned!

https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/23559/a-raised-road-bed-a-build-log-for-the-rgs-raised-layout

And in the “Articles” section: https://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/156/a-raised-road-bed-a-build-log-for-the-rgs-raised-layout

All good comments and suggestions, thanks. I’d love to see pics of how others have done this.

There’s plenty in mine: https://www.largescalecentral.com/articles/177/a-raised-road-bed-plants-and-irrigation

Ken-

Wow, what a fantastic layout, makes me envious. I won’t be quite as ambitious as you but I like some of the ways you show to plant and irrigate. Thanks for sharing.

Your very welcome. And since your down there in MD, it isn’t to far a drive up to here if you would care to visit. Your probably just an hour away.

I like the idea of an elevated RR with periodic raised beds using RR ties, man made stone, etc that are planted to supplement the plants in pots

I am in Annapolis, and have a ground lever layout if you wanna play some time

Jerry

Jerry’s layout is beautiful!

Ken’s is too, and I’m sure looking forward to seeing it some day soon.

Here are a few pictures of how I addressed one spot on my “old” railroad, I had about 8-10 planting locations scattered over the railroad.

I built a box and hung it down from the table top using Cedar fence boards and metal straps then lined it with a double layer of good quality weed block cloth. then used chicken wire to build up some

hilly shapes and covered them with a stucco mix that had burlap strips dipped in it.

Here the boxes have been filled with planting mix and the shrubs, ground cover, and sprinklers planted.

The shrubs/trees were left in their pots to control growth but the top rings of the plastic pots were cut off so the

wouldn’t show above the fill dirt.

Another view of the same area after the “hardscape” work was done and before ballast. As you can see in the pictures I am not a fan of “letting the track float”

on a table top installation, just didn’t work well for me.

Just be sure to build your containers large enough that they contain enough soil to control freezing roots and drying out roots.

Have a ball building.

Rick

That makes a nice setting.

That looks very nice Rick

Jerry

Ken Brunt said:

Your very welcome. And since your down there in MD, it isn’t to far a drive up to here if you would care to visit. Your probably just an hour away.

Ken,

Does Robin know about your “Spring Fling”? Perfect time to meet the “tribe”.

Now it’s a “Spring Fling”? Geez, this thing got more names.

But now that you mention it: “Spring Fling”

Thanks again, fellas, for all the great ideas, pics, and explanations, I really appreciate it. To Jerry and Ken, I’d love to visit sometime so we’ll see once the weather warms up.

So tell me about the “Spring Fling” thing. Is that the official name (seems it might have several alias’s). I’m all ears :slight_smile:

Thanks again, fellas, for all the great ideas, pics, and explanations, I really appreciate it. To Jerry and Ken, I’d love to visit sometime so we’ll see once the weather warms up.

So tell me about the “Spring Fling” thing. Is that the official name (seems it might have several alias’s). I’m all ears :slight_smile:

It’s official name last year was KOPS. Keystone Operating session(I think). I’m kinda liking the Spring Fling handle.

Actually Robin it’s an operating session. I print out a manifest for each train, hand them out to the operators/engineers/conductors, then they follow the manifest. Picking up cars at different sidings and dropping cars off.

Delores Yard is at one end, with an Interchange/Rico track and Porter at other other end with an Interchange track. In between are Mancos and Hesperus, with sidings for different Industries.

There’s probably a lot more BS’ing going on then actual trains running, but we have fun…(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)(https://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Even if your not into that sort of thing, there should be a bunch from LSC here you can meet. Some come for the day, some for the whole weekend. Plenty of brains to pick for ideas.

Here’s a few pix from last years: https://www.largescalecentral.com/forums/topic/26318/rgs-operations?page=9

Ken-

OK, Spring Fling it is! Any idea when you’ll do another? You’re right, West Grove is only about 55 minutes away right up US-1 from me.