Large Scale Central

Caboose Truck 1:29 replica?

I plan to pursue the usual vendors and Ebay but does anyone here right off the bat have a any idea if this style truck exists in 1:29 or even 1:32. I could make one I think pretty easy in white metal but if they are readily available somewhere then no need to reinvent the wheel or the truck as it were.

I would want it pretty dang near exact or very close. While not looking to rivet count I do want it to be very prototypical.

What about the Aristo Heavyweight truck, the LGB D&RGW passenger truck, or Bachmann Jackson and Sharpe passenger trucks? All would need to have the outer brake gear removed, but they all have a similar spring hanger design. Of course, you would have to overlook some of the finer details pertaining to the journal pedestals.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Haven’t looked at the heavy weight trucks. But the others are all done with the cast pedestals. I was trying to decide if they could work with some modification but at the end if the day I don’t think I would like them.

Devon Sinsley said:

I plan to pursue the usual vendors…

I’m seeing a cartoon in 1940s, 1950s, style of Devon waving a paper over his head, "Hey! Hey! Have you got …? while running after a vendor as he tries to run faster to escape. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

Someone else will have to draw it, I just see it.

You might try Charles Ro. The Center Cupola Cabooses advertise “new caboose style trucks”. It looks like they have the leaf spring, but no coil springs.

I think they are REA high speed truck. Talk to Hollywood as he made a set close to that using the bachmann jackson sharpe wheel sets as Jeff stated.

Gee Devon, you cast some arch-bar trucks, you could do the same here. And then sell a few sets to recoup your costs.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Devon Sinsley said:

I’m seeing a cartoon in 1940s, 1950s, style of Devon waving a paper over his head, "Hey! Hey! Have you got …? while running after a vendor as he tries to run faster to escape. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-laughing.gif)

I resemble that remark. . .lol. It comes from having everything you want when you were in HO and nothing you want in G. I found HO trucks that are perfect. Ah well. I can make them if I have too.

David Maynard said:

Gee Devon, you cast some arch-bar trucks, you could do the same here. And then sell a few sets to recoup your costs.

If I don’t have to reinvent the truck I don’t want too. But looking at it I think it would be a fairly easy truck to make. If I have to I will.

Well, the basics of the truck is similar to the trucks used on the streamline Aristo passenger cars. But the Aristo trucks have a lot of added stuff on them that those trucks don’t have. And the journal boxes are very different.

Devon, I made a set of those trucks several years ago for a Union Pacific tender on my pacific. I also have a set made from a set of Aristo Craft short passenger cars. Those trucks are on a wooden UP caboose project I’m working on.

I’d like to see those. I think making them is the route I will head. I can make a master pretty easy I think casting them will take a little thought. What did you make yours from Chuck

Devon Sinsley said:

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Devon Sinsley said:

I resemble that remark. . .lol. It comes from having everything you want when you were in HO and nothing you want in G. I found HO trucks that are perfect. Ah well. I can make them if I have too.

Hehehe! What I was doing in freelance HO and On30 in late 80s early 1990s, especially the traction, was quirky enough that when I went in his store Louie would often would greet me with something like, “Okay, what do you want this time that won’t exist?”

There may actually have been a time or two I was disappointed when something I was looking for did exist, it just felt so odd.

I think secretly, somewhere in the evil dark places in my mind, I really am thankful nothing exists. It is fun to make the stuff and when your done no one else has it.

I was just sitting here looking over this truck trying from this one picture to see how it was made. In looking at it, it seems kinda flimsy. Neither the top part of the frame nor the low part of the side frame looks solid cast iron. It all looks like welded steel. the way it is made looks to be made almost entirely of cut plate steel. If that is the case and the fact that i only need one set of these it might be fun to challenge my brass soldering skills and make them out of brass bar stock.

Devon Sinsley said:

I think secretly, somewhere in the evil dark places in my mind, I really am thankful nothing exists. It is fun to make the stuff and when your done no one else has it.

Devon, yes that is what appealed to me about this gauge. Now I find that I don’t have the time/ambition/money at the same place and time to do what I want to do. Ah well…

David Maynard said:

Now I find that I don’t have the time/ambition/money at the same place and time to do what I want to do. Ah well…

That’s why I am Devoning all the time. I can build thousands of models and layouts in my mind for free. . .But I am not tellig you anything you don’t already know.

Yea. But I have a pile of projects on my workbench. Except for the bank, all the other could be finished in a evening each. But I just dunt wanna.