Large Scale Central

Watering Timers

I have a pond and would like to add water daily. In the past I have had Melnor electronic timers. They don’t last very long. If I get one season out of one I’m lucky. For some reason they are prone to internal leakage. This seems to be the concuss of views I have read.

The way I have the system set up is very simple. The timer gets attached to the hose bib and then a short length of hose runs from the timer to the pond.

I would like to buy a timer now, but don’t want to buy another Melnor. I would like anyone’s thoughts of timers for this purpose. I also do not want to get into separate timers and separate electronic valves.

Make a small tank and plumb it to show the water level in the pond, attach it to the side of your pond and cover it with a dock. Inside control water level with a float level. Run your hose to it and forget about it… well that’s what I’d do.

Float levels are used in toilets and evap coolers, around here they are common.

PS; the box is to limit the floating debris from fouling the controller, small holes near the bottom of the box connected to the pond well below floating stuff.

John

edit for clarity

And why do we need to add water daily? And if you have to add water, wouldn’t you like to know how much you are adding?

In the hot, dry, summer, I do have add a little bit of water to my pond every few days. But in cooler weather, if I have to top it off every day, then I have a leak somewhere. I, personally, would rather know that I have a leak, and find and fix it, rather then just keep pumping water into the pond unmonitored.

To each his own, it happens to be on my sister’s property and her concern is it be good 24/7/365.

Evaporation is my constant. Major leaks are usually noted by other means…

Have a good day,

John

Not sure how large or size of your pond is, but a cheap sump cooler float valve work great. They can be hidden as our are under one of our walk bridges.

On ours, we also added a cheap timer to run starter relay for pumps to moving water once a day over water falls and some extra water to the back large pond thru manifold valves. Our pond is set to pump and fill once a day about 4 inch of water.

Guess I should of add a reason why we use 4 inch of water a day in the summer time off of the Koi pond… One to keep pond clean and save on filters sys. Extra water is for the back reservoir that is used for irrigation out back. Helps 6 acres of strawberry’s

David Maynard said:

And why do we need to add water daily? And if you have to add water, wouldn’t you like to know how much you are adding?

In the hot, dry, summer, I do have add a little bit of water to my pond every few days. But in cooler weather, if I have to top it off every day, then I have a leak somewhere. I, personally, would rather know that I have a leak, and find and fix it, rather then just keep pumping water into the pond unmonitored.

No one is perfect. Not even me…LOL I built my pond back in 2000. It’s made using EPDM rubber roofing, left over from the roofing contractor that was putting a roof on the German Society at 6th and Spring garden Streets. It’s not without a seam or two, though those seems are bound with the proper contact cement and then further sealed with aquatic grade caulking. I’ve always thought the leaks, tough minor, are near the surface along the edges. Probably why things grow so well along the banks. Over the years I have investigated and corrected what I thought were the places most likely to be the culprit. Aside from a complete draining and relining the pond, it has been a much simpler task just to add water.

I’m just looking for a better way of doing so.

Yes, my leaks are when the edge of the liner sags and water drips over the edge. If I was adding 4 inches a day, I would be looking for a noticeable leak. Even on the 90 plus, sunny summer days, I only loose an inch or less to evaporation.

I have thought about putting in an automatic system to add water, but I have given up on the idea. Because, if the system is adding water without me knowing about it, then I won’t know that the pond is leaking.

I live in the SW just like John, and even with a pool you can get 3 to 4 inches of evaporation in a day in our area. So if you are only looking to fix the problem of the water level residing then as Noel suggested use a float valve. However in your climate (and from a Construction Engineers perspective) you should find out why it is loosing that much water per day. I think David’s post that you might have a leak is right on.

David Maynard said:

Yes, my leaks are when the edge of the liner sags and water drips over the edge. If I was adding 4 inches a day, I would be looking for a noticeable leak. Even on the 90 plus, sunny summer days, I only loose an inch or less to evaporation.

I have thought about putting in an automatic system to add water, but I have given up on the idea. Because, if the system is adding water without me knowing about it, then I won’t know that the pond is leaking.

Dave, would it really matter ?..LOL

Hmm, Watering Timers; I had to look to see if it was about the proper hydration of timers or the proper timing of hydration, English is odd with words in some ways.

You are lucky Dan, here if we waste water here in california, it’s ok for the city inspector to shoot you.

If we get even 0.01 inch of rain, they patrol our neighborhood and if there is any evidence of watering, they leave you a notice.

I agree, if the water costs nothing, and goes right back in the ground, why worry, until the leaks are big enough to suck the fish into them.

Even then, perhaps the fish will plug the hole, just like putting oatmeal in the radiator of a model T, and your problem will solve itself.

Greg

Dan Padova said:

David Maynard said:

I guess not, not if you aren’t paying the water bill.

David Maynard said:

Dan Padova said:

David Maynard said:

I guess not, not if you aren’t paying the water bill.

No, I’m not paying your water bill…LOL I should be up front here. We have a well, so water costs only what it costs to run the well pump.

Forrest Scott Wood said:

Hmm, Watering Timers; I had to look to see if it was about the proper hydration of timers or the proper timing of hydration, English is odd with words in some ways.

Yes, our language is certainly confusing at times. Even between us and our cousins across the pond. “Two countries separated by a common language”.

I watered my timer, but it didn’t grow, instead, it died…where did I go wrong ?

Fred Mills said:

I watered my timer, but it didn’t grow, instead, it died…where did I go wrong ?

You probably overwatered it, Fred.

Who’s worried about watering times, there’s still 2 feet of snow on the group in North Idaho.

Chuck, here its all soggy. The snow melted.

Mud season is notherwise for a few weeks, yet.