Large Scale Central

Travels of Frank the tank

Back when LGB/Aster introduced the Frank S, he got the nick name “Frank the Tank” Much like the Ruby, most everybody that was into live steam back then had one or knew of someone that had one. Frankie is still one of the best beginners engine, espicaly if you have tight radius curves and need some controlablity. Easily converted to remote control. Other than having to deal with the water bath around the butane tank in the tender, I do enjoy Frankie for the most part. While I would trade him off for the right geared engine, till that time comes, I will keep on running Frankie every chance I get. Pictured below is Frank the tank running on the Michigan live steamers portable layout at the Huckleberry RR in Flint MI. Frank S is pulling the brown/white club 760 coach and my custom Autism Awareness car that I made. My wife and I rode our old motorcycles up on a beautiful Saturday and I packed Frankie and a couple coaches in my carrying cases on my 1982 Silverwing. I hope to get some crisp fall running pics or video soon on my home railway. Mike

Here is a pic of me(in the green hoodie with blue hat) running Frankie with 4 cars, including the 2 from the first pictures.  You cant really see the train, its just infront of me and mostly hidden by the other trains.  If you look real close you can just make out the top of the engine and passenger coaches.  I forgot to take pics, was in hyper focus all day, so I am hunting down pics taken by others.   Mike
[URL=http://s83.photobucket.com/user/cadetpwr/media/rld2016_zpsw5d8jxvm.jpg.html][IMG]http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j285/cadetpwr/rld2016_zpsw5d8jxvm.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Loco is an attractive little thing.

I didn’t see no bikes?

I actually do not have any pics of the bikes on here. I will have to fix that tomorrow. I have pics of our first bikes, a pair of Honda Rebels, but not my wifes 1984 Magna V30 500cc cruiser and my 1982 GL500 Silverwing Interstate edition. The solidude while riding is almost zen for someone on the autism spectrum, I am thankfull I am able to ride. I just cannot take loud pipes, both of our bikes have the stock mufflers on them. Not that I dont like the sound, but its actualy painfull for me if a bike with open or nearly open pipes is near me. Mike

I’ve been enjoying my frank too…had him all these years and he gets out pretty often.

No live steam this time, just the 2073d on battery power for some twilight running. Mike

Here is Frankie raising steam on my own railway this morning. This is round 2, round 1 was a failure due to a servo arm coming loose causing me to loose full forward travel on the Johnson bar. I finaly figured out the technique to run Frankie on my railway. I must have 2 bar or higher on the pressure gauge. Even at 1.75 bar, Frankie will stall with the usual 3 or 4 coach consist I pull when he just clear the summit. But at 2 bar or higher, he can make the grade just fine, takes nearly full throttle, but he clears the summit with power to spare. The water bath(pain in the ass) is good for one boiler full of water, after that its cooled enough that trying to extend the run wont work, cant maintain steam pressure due to low gas pressure/ie cold water. I really need someone to rework Frankie to put the gas tank in the cab, this will require(I think) rearranging the servo set up for the throttle and move the receiver. Fighting with the gas/water bath and wanting to run in colder weather is getting old fast. But atleast I figured how to run my own railway with him today. I ran enough live steam today that my once super clean LGB platforms are now trying to look like a working steam railway and not a home to just sparkies! Inbetween round 1 and 2 with Frankie, I ran my friends Regner Lumberjack. Mike

Mike Toney said:

But atleast I figured how to run my own railway with him today. I ran enough live steam today that my once super clean LGB platforms are now trying to look like a working steam railway and not a home to just sparkies!

Cool stuff! Success tends to go over well. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

When I hear “Frank the Tank” I think of something completely different (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)