Large Scale Central

Questions about Bachmann truck

I am wondering about this truck.

Bachmann Truck

Does anyone know what the wheel diameter at the tread are on these trucks and are they metal as they appear to be in the picture? They seem to be a small wheel diameter. It appears to be a small compact truck with small wheels that could be a godd solution for my indoor shorty cars.

They are a smaller wheel diameter then the standard 31mm bachmann metal ones. I believe this truck came off a bachmann tender or one of their 20’ car series.

Devon

That is the truck off of the 95XXX series rolling stock from Bmann. They use the small wheels (24.5mm) stock #92422. They are all metal wheels and axle (insulated) with a plastic connector for adjusting gauge.

The car series included a flat, a low-side gondola and a boxcar. Bmann tried to capitalize on the length alone since it measured to 20’ in 1/20.3. They were much closer to 1/24th scale. The cars featured body mount couplers and metal details for the handles, steps and door guides. They are very well made and track wonderfully. I based Monkey Circus Train on these cars.

The trucks can be purchased from Bmann under the description: "20’ Complete Truck (G Universal) for $13.65 each. The wheels are still available in blister packs but the cars are out of production. They can be found on E-bay usually at premium prices now.

Thanks Boomer,

I am glad to hear the review. Knowing they use the 24.5 wheel is great. If I don’t go this route I was considering those wheels for my own cast trucks. But for the price I might have to consider them. The only down side would be that I was considering using a truck mounted coupler for the tight corners. But this gives me an option to think about.

Thanks again for the input.

I just picked up one of those boxcars at the ECLSTS for $20. And I got 3 or 4 sets of them smaller wheels for my ore cars.

Hey David,

Could you measure the distance between journals front to back. I was noticing that the Bachmann trucks I have have a slightly longer wheel base than the Aristo truck I have. And this even slight difference makes a difference in my switch. If I use the smaller wheels I am hoping I can make that even shorter. I am curious what these are.

Devon, unfortunately I am in York for another week of training. So I am over 200 miles away from that boxcar. I could measure it this weekend for you.

Oh heck I guess I can wait(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Devon, Ok I measured the axle spacing on the truck for you, and its 1.5 inches center to center on the axles. Also that truck uses the smaller Bachmann wheels. So the thing should handle most any track-work, couplers permitting.

Wow OK that is a very small truck. The aristo truck I measured is 2.25 axle center to axle center. That is a giant difference and is very promising. The only issue I have was the idea of using truck mounted link and pin couplers for the extra swing. I will have to think on that some. Thanks for measuring it.

Devon, I am sure with a little bit of engineering you could add truck mounted couplers to the thing.

Devon Sinsley said:

Wow OK that is a very small truck. The aristo truck I measured is 2.25 axle center to axle center. That is a giant difference and is very promising. The only issue I have was the idea of using truck mounted link and pin couplers for the extra swing. I will have to think on that some. Thanks for measuring it.

Devon,

The couplers can be mounted on a strip that is attached via the truck pivot bolt. A couple of pins will limit the swing. Gives you the virtues of a body mount but the swing of a truck mount, and no reversing problems.