Large Scale Central

one brand only?

are there any reasons to stick with one brand as far as rolling stock? I think couplers might be the only reason I can think of off hand. While I am in question mode are there a lot of reasons to go with metal wheels on cars? I should add I am going with 1:29 as my preferred size/scale

Scale uniformity might be a reason to stick with one brand only. Although most companies now offer multiple scale items (1:20.3, 1:29, 1:24) in their G scale lines. So maybe not such a good answer.

Metal wheels add weight to rolling stock helping them negotiate track better. And they don’t deposit as much black gunk on your railheads as plastic wheels do.

couplers can always be changed to kadees i supose,

i have aristo and usa trains 1,29 and i love everything i have,

have a couple of accucraft cars but theses seem more fragile,

would love bachmann or piko to contribute to the scale

the more the better

dont do lgb, although some of their stuff may be 1,29

Given the various sizes of boxcars in this photo from Shorpy, it seems foolish to limit ones self to only one manufacturer (importer) to chase after the illusive “scale fidelity.”

Steve Featherkile said:

Given the various sizes of boxcars in this photo from Shorpy, it seems foolish to limit ones self to only one manufacturer (importer) to chase after the illusive “scale fidelity.”

Now Steve you know our rule, “It didn’t happen without pics” (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-cool.gif)

I can see sticking with one brand for uniformity, but unless you are running unit trains, trains aren’t uniform. Using a common coupler is what many folks do. I have traded my unwanted couplers for stuff, or I have just given them away to folks who use that brand.

Maybe sticking with one brand would limit the variety of spare parts you would want to have on hand. But, I can’t see that being all that much of a motivating factor.

Metal wheels on the other hand, many threads have been written to extol the virtues of metal wheels, or debunk those notions. Me, I noticed a marked improvement in how my trains ran after I converted to metal wheels. They tracked better, with fewer derailments. The track stayed cleaner during all day runs, and they just sound better to me.

Pete Lassen said:

are there any reasons to stick with one brand as far as rolling stock? I think couplers might be the only reason I can think of off hand. While I am in question mode are there a lot of reasons to go with metal wheels on cars? I should add I am going with 1:29 as my preferred size/scale

Pete

From my experience and knowledge I can only tell you to purchase or build whatever you wish to run as it is your railroad. As for couplers most play semi nice to very nice together with the exception of USA trains couplers which play nicely with only USA trains (I’m a big fan of the product as well). There was a very good write up in Garden Railway Magazine a few years back on couplers and I totally agree with the research they printed.

As for going with metal wheels there are a few reasons to do such but the main one would be for better enjoyment and reliability especially outdoors if that is the type of RR you have .

I am no expert and only sharing my experience but I hope this helps with your decision.

Edit : because I pretty much said what Maynard just did but he types faster I guess

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

no, definitely not just one brand. regardless of brand, buy or build, whatever you like for your layout.

just keep an eye on scales. some difference is ok. but not everything looks good together. in the pic you see a 1:32 no-name brand framed by 1:22.5 LGBs.

couplers - either buy kadees for your cars, or use paperclips, where necessary.

wheels - since 1969 my rolling stock runs on plastic wheels. if you “need” metallic wheels or not to me seems more of a relifion, than a logical question

No need to stick to one brand at all. One scale, perhaps, but not one brand.

Later,

K

Living in the UK I bought what was, at the time reasonable priced and readily available over here. Consequently I initially bought the 1:22.5 Bachmann Big Hauler stock and two Annie locos. I soon discovered Aristo-Craft and then only bought their product - some UK sourced, some from the USA (when the $-£ exchange rate was good). I do have one USAT wooden reefer which was sent to me as a gift. Period (hopefully) modeled is 1950 - 1970.

I suppose I was lucky to get into the hobby some eleven or so years ago and had purchased all I needed by the time the slow down occurred. There is still a lot of second hand items about it seems.

Steve mentioned the older photos showing a mixture of car heights and sizes: I have seen such pictures so I find I can mix the two scales (1:29 and 1:22.5) reasonably easily. The Bachmann stock which did not look good in a mixed scale consist was sold or kitbashed. Bachmann Big Hauler, in my view, is good for kitbashing and/or repainting. When all is said and done you buy what you like - and can afford, it is your fun you are hoping to create.

And as Steve pointed out, you may want to look here for more http://www.shorpy.com/

Ah - another excuse to re-post this, my favorite Shorpy image of boxcar sizes…

Which is my justification for running a 1:24 car with my 1:20 cars…

My apologies to those who have seen that several times before (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)

Pete,

I would also like to mention if you mix brands of passenger equipment (dubbed 1:29th) most will play nice together. However if you want to run USA’s beautiful streamliners then I would suggest sticking with them only. They are truly built to scale (as far as I’m concerned) and do not mix well with other passenger car (out of the box) manufacturers that I’m aware of.

Daktah John, I really like the picture of your cars, that helps me a lot

Yea, my newest favorite train is an LGB mogul, supposedly something like 1:22.5, with a Bachmann tender, in a similar scale, pulling Heartland coaches that are supposedly 1:24th scale.

All have been converted to the standard coupler for my railroad, G scale KaDees.

Pete Lassen said:

Daktah John, I really like the picture of your cars, that helps me a lot

(http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-wink.gif)

Check out Star Hobby for metal wheels. I am in the same place you are and they were suggested to me. Don’t email them call them. http://starhobby1.com/ If you buy the Bachmann wheels they sell them by the case for a pretty deep discount. I think a case is six sets of four axles.

Here’s a combination of Bachmann, Aristo, LGB, kit bashed, kit built, scratchbuilt and maybe one or 2 others.

Ken,

Is that the new shed storage trackage? Doesn’t look like the old garage tracks. Nice picture! Looks really good!

I use Kadee knuckles on some rolling stock, but most have the double hook and loop couplers.

For an open house, hook and loops stay coupled the whole day and solid brass metal wheels prevent wind gusts from derailing cars due to the added weight.

Note that LGB metal wheels are rims and not very heavy.