Large Scale Central

Truck Identification

Hey just seen this nice little skeleton log car on Ebay and I love the trucks on it. Can anyone identify them. The seller does not know anything other than they are metal.

They have a great looking wooden arch bar design.

Ebay log car

They look like the LGB disconnects, with a lot of weathering. Well, maybe not, as they are metal.

How about Hartford: http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/downloads/hartford%20catalog.pdf

Pete Thornton said:

They look like the LGB disconnects, with a lot of weathering. Well, maybe not, as they are metal.

How about Hartford: http://www.ozarkminiatures.com/downloads/hartford%20catalog.pdf

That link is coming up dead for me but I will see if can find it and take a look.

Here is the link when i first pasted it it came out the way you posted Pete I had to modify it to get it to work. But I looked at them and none are an exact math but them are some nice trucks. Thanks for putting them on to them. Nice for some show pieces.

www.ozarkminiatures.com/downloads/hartford trucks.pdf

Devon, I believe they are Hartford “Carter Bros” trucks. Very early DSP&P prototype. I bought this kit 20 yrs ago and this is as far as I got on it. It has wooden bolsters.

I think that truck John would love to see it finished. But I see these on the Hartford catalog and the bolster orientation is different. That’s not to say this one or one of the others weren’t modified which I am thinking is the case. Either way those Hartford trucks are the ticket. I am glad I asked because the hartford trucks are a great truck for detailing my “show” pieces. I cant see buying them for all my rolling stock but for a few pieces for my man cave display they look great.

Yeh, I should finish them. I lost the drawings…But who needs the instructions, anyway! :slight_smile:

Maybe they are Saxton Car and Foundry or Simpson trucks. I can’t remember. I have done both in the past.

They do seem to have the same level of detail as the Harford trucks. I haven’t seen the spiral castings on the inside of the wheels provided by Harford.

The Harford products can be seen on the Ozark Miniatures web site. https://www.ozarkminiatures.com/Scripts/default.asp

I think this is what mine are supposed to look like finished.

Well John make yours look like that then.

They are Russ Simpson trucks. Plastic side frames, white metal bolsters and springs made of a piece of wire. 1:24 scale, so rather small.

Gion

Welcome Gion!

Gion, Welcome to LSC. And thanks for the identification. Do you know if there is s source for them? I see he has passed away? @1:24 they would be to small for my 1:20.3 stuff but for some small rolling stock or maybe some of my indoor stuff which will be 1:24.

Hey Devon, Are you casting any trucks? If so give me a PM…

Devon Sinsley said:

Gion, Welcome to LSC. And thanks for the identification. Do you know if there is s source for them? I see he has passed away? @1:24 they would be to small for my 1:20.3 stuff but for some small rolling stock or maybe some of my indoor stuff which will be 1:24.

@1:24 they would be too small for my 1:20.3 stuff but for some small rolling stock or maybe some of my indoor stuff which will be 1:24.(http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-undecided.gif)

Thank you for the welcome. I have been reading this forum in the background for a while before daring to utter an opinion…

I own two pairs of these trucks through a parts lot bought on Swiss Ebay. I don’t think they are still offered anywhere, and with Hartford and other trucks available I wouldn’t bother to look for them. The sideframes are very light, and the styrene/white metal bonds break easily under load. I have used one pair under a 8-wheel summer trailer made of two Bachmann open street cars, so the scale fits.

Measurements are 50.8 mm wheel base and 27.5 mm wheel diameter, which converts in 1:24 to a 4 ft wheelbase with 26" wheels. In 1:20.3 it would be 3’4" wheel base with 22" wheels, very small! The ribbed wheels are plastic, so no match for Hartford metal wheels in my opinion.

Gion