Large Scale Central

Clover

So we have this clover. It’s leaves are bronze/green colored. Right now it has small yellow flowers blooming. It’s spreading fairly rapidly. It has a good root system that makes it very difficult to pull out in any quantity. My wife swaers she will see it’s demise. I’m not convinced that it’s a bad thing. We have an acre of ground. Beds around the house and the garden railway bed. To me it’s a good ground cover. It’s growing around some of my track, but is easy to trim if it starts to cover the track. As long as I run trains regularly it stays in check.

Would anyone be familiar with this plant ?

Oxalis.

If you let it propagate, you won’t get rid of it. But some varities are small and used on garden railroads.

Spectracide Weed Killer will get rid of it, but won’t hurt the grass. I have a heckova time with it. From what I’ve heard Lime will also help keep it in check since it seems to like acidic soil. There are decorative types that I’ve seen in garden centers, some are pretty colorful, but I’m loathe to try’em since it seems so prolific in my yard.

Be careful getting rid of clover: you may eradicate the only four leaf one you have. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-sealed.gif)

Dan,

You have a very invasive form of clover. Yellow wood sorrel has an interesting and effective way to spread seed. The pods build up pressure as they dry and then burst, sending the seed flying several feet. You can make the seed pods pop by lightly touching them. Do not let it take hold. it also has rhizomes that spread under ground. It’s not a plant to let take over. Spot treat with Round Up with some Simple Green added to help “wet” the leaves so they will absorb the poison. Good luck.

I cannot seem to win. The moment something grows that plants itself and propagates on it’s own, it gets a bad rap. My wife wants it gone for the very reasons you guys stated. As I mentioned in my initial post, it looks nice and is low growing. I would suspect that it would help with erosion also.

Dan, I dunno. I have many “weeds” on my railroad that I prune and use to my advantage. Its your choice if you will try and eradicate it, or use it.

My next query is to find out how this clover affects shrubbery. I wonder if it will compete with boxwoods, rose bushes, etc. I plan to visit Primes, a good local gardening supply and ask one of their experts.

What if they have the same opinion of your friends and your wife?

I listen to my wife. I’m a happy guy. She cooks my meals, does the laundry and never has a headache. She even likes trains and NASCAR.

Rip that stuff out.

Greg Elmassian said:

What if they have the same opinion of your friends and your wife?

I listen to my wife. I’m a happy guy. She cooks my meals, does the laundry and never has a headache. She even likes trains and NASCAR.

Rip that stuff out.

Mega-dittos. (http://largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-tongue-out.gif)

Yea, I know. Do I want to be happy or right !