Large Scale Central

Aster Union Pacific FEF kit builds

Build of the Aster Union Pacific FEF locomotive has started and will be continuing with photos and a overall build presentation at the end. The process will be extensive with 5 kits to build.

Aster FEF Photo Album

Album now updated with photos through step 7 completion.

Wow.

tac

Completion of steps 8-10

FEF-3 Build log update:

FEF-3 Album

Terry…thanks for the encouragement!

Update on the build progress:

Aster FEF-3 kit build steps 10-14, 25 &26

Really great pictures Charles! You have things so well documented that a fellow can really get a feel for what goes into assembling one of these fantastic kits. Thanks so much for taking the time to share it.

Is the long skinny rod on the bottom for actuating drain cocks? Looks like it goes back and attaches to a small leaver under the cad floor.

I’ll be checking back for more progress.

Steps 17-20 are the parts and components necessary to get the boiler onto the chassis and finish the engine. Details and then tender…all in good time.

Photo log of ongoing builds
FEF Build steps 17-20

Randy

Thanks for the interest in the build.

Completed step 21 involving the place of the boiler on frame along with the front end piping in the smoke box. The oil feedline to the steam block will require careful setup (would rather had a solder fitting at the end rather than a compression one). The smokebox (split design) does seen to require fitting relative to both frame and to the smokebox ring.

FEF Step 21

Step 22 Smokebox front end pipes
Step 23 Backhead piping
Step 24Cab
Step 25 Trailing wheels burner
Step 26 Pilot truck smokebox
Step 34 Tender frame
Step 35 Tender main frame
Step 36 Water tank
Step 37 Tender body
Step 38 Tender pony truck front details
Step 39 Tender top details

A few comments, recommendations and trouble shooting to come…

FEF Build update

Step 27- Smokebox-battery install, pilot and pumps
Step 28- Marker lights, number board, whistle
Step 29- Running boards
Step 30- Smokebox piping, boiler steps turret cover
Step 31- rear piping, cab detail. reverser
Step 32-Detail on side and under running boards, cab roof

Steps 27-32

The build log on Flickr has both photos of the completed engine along with the first test run: successful

FEF Kit Completed

Charles and Ryan - another great build sequence from TRS, and yes, encouragement is all I can offer, I’m afraid. My Porsche engine rebuild would have gotten me well on the way to an FEF, even here in UK, but right now I’ve missed out on THREE live-steamers because of it, one of them my all-time favourite British loco, the rebuilt Merchant Navy pacific.

tac - ‘aspiring to be rich enough to be called poverty-stricken’

Somehow I missed the progression of your fantastic locomotive build Charles.

However, a rainy day here gave me the chance to review the thread and watch the trial run. A superb loco that I am sure needed sklils to consuct that some of us here might only dream about.

You are fortunate is have the space to run such a loco and I must say that the consist of reefers looked fantastic behind 844.