Large Scale Central

Bachmann 24.5 mm Metal Wheels

So are the flanges on Bachmann’s smaller metal wheels smaller than the flanges on their 31 mm metal wheels ? I just received a Bachmann 1:20 small boxcar, #92422. The depth of the wheel flanges are a bit less than their larger wheels. Would these wheels be the same ones sold on a card as a set of four axles ?

Dan Padova said:

So are the flanges on Bachmann’s smaller metal wheels smaller than the flanges on their 31 mm metal wheels ?

Would these wheels be the same ones sold on a card as a set of four axles ?

Yup, by just a tad and yup…

Yep, a card of four is the #92422

They work very well on Hartland mini cars as well.

Link to big pic

I used them on my Aristo C16’s tender. The Aristo wheels had a rough surface, and were too draggy on the power pick up brushes.

I didn’t notice that the flanges were smaller, but it doesn’t seam to be an issue.

Matt Doti said:

Yep, a card of four is the #92422

They work very well on Hartland mini cars as well.

Link to big pic

Matt, that’s a good idea. I have a few dozen mini cars. Some heartland and some LGB. I never considered using the smaller wheels.

They work well on the pilot truck and the trucks of the tender for the Lionel Atlantic, too.

Dan Padova said:

Matt, that’s a good idea. I have a few dozen mini cars. Some heartland and some LGB. I never considered using the smaller wheels.

Be aware that if you use smaller wheels and have body mounted couplers the coupler height will be lower than it was with the larger wheels.

Oh yea, that’s right I used them on my Big Bird mine cars.

And I just had to get creative on mounting the couplers,

LOL! That’s why my clinics on coupler conversions starts with telling people “decide on which wheels you plan to use on these cars, and put them on FIRST! Then mount the couplers on the body.” I’ve used these smaller wheels on a number of Hartland shortie gone, an LGB shortie tank. Looking good, running good. Haven’t noticed any problem with staying on the rails, and I use code 250 Aluminum!

Dick yes, that is the way to do it. I truck mount my couplers, and the wheels make a difference on how I mount the couplers. In Aristo trucks, the KaDees need to be shimmed differently if I use Aristo wheels versus USA wheels.

I don’t use the smaller wheels often, but I have found they work well on the mine cars and the C16’s tender. So I have some of the smaller wheels in my stash.