Large Scale Central

INGRS

So the Inland Northwest Garden Railway Society met today at Steve Featherkile’s house. Unlike the past two events I had attended, at this one operations was the game of the day. I hardly had time to say hi before I was handed a waybill map and control to Steve’s GP-9. Three operators had the task of taking freight from one end of the layout to the other (Steve’s layout is point to point operation) and dropping off and picking up along the way. It was fun and a challenge to figure out how we were all going to get done what we needed to and work with the other trains doing the same thing. Great fun.

But one thing stood out. A young man in our club, Avery, who is I am guessing about 16 was there with his faithful Annie. Now he has been to every club meeting I have attended and he is an active member bringing with him whoever will drive him. This time it was grandpa. Now I got the feeling grandpa was brand new to this. By days end grandpa was following us around and getting very into it. At the end of the day Steve commented to Avery that he needed to get grandpa a locomotive so he could join in. To which grandpa replied that it was a distinct possibility. No in a hobby where i am one of the younger generation at 45 it is nie not only to see a young man interested but getting the older generation interested as well.

What a great day

Up at Fred’s during the Invasion, there are a few of the younger generation that show up every week. Gordon Bellamy’s 2 grandsons have been regulars for at least the last 8 years I’ve going up there and it’s been fun watching them mature over the years. The older one even took over the Dispatcher’s position after his father passed away.

Then there’s this young fella, who is infatuated with my K-27 and asks if he can use it every time I bring it up with me. I have absolutely no qualms at all about him running it. He has shown me that he’s very responsible while operating it and I get a real kick out of watching him.

There’s also quite a few other’s that pop in from time to time. If you take the time to show them how everything works and let them have their own “hands on” experience I’m sure they’ll feel comfortable and stick around for a long time.

If you take the time to show them how everything works and let them have their own “hands on” experience I’m sure they’ll feel comfortable and stick around for a long time.

Yes, it would be great if more groups would do that. People like to watch, but they like to participate even more.

Did no one take pictures? We’ve seen precious little of Steve’s layout over the years. Post 'em if you got 'em.

Steve took lots of pictures. Steve’s layout is long and sprauling. He has tried to get me to think operationally when I plan my layout. Now I know why. His layout really forced the three of us work together to get through it.

Now we just need to talk him into the giant trestle over the gully

But there are pics, just look above. Be patient.

It’s nice to see a teen operating! I got hooked into largescale at 16 as well after attending an ops session at TOC’s… It’s all been down hill since than. (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-surprised.gif)Haven’t touched my HO or N scale in at least 8 years, and now with a toddler walking around it seems that Playmobil trains are in the near future.

Photos located here.

Craig, once I got into large scale, I thought my HO stuff would just suck dust. Then Dave Bodner drug me kicking and screaming to an “all scales” club" meeting and signed me up. Now I get to play with my HO trains with 2 different clubs.

David Maynard said:

Craig, once I got into large scale, I thought my HO stuff would just suck dust. Then Dave Bodner drug me kicking and screaming to an “all scales” club" meeting and signed me up. Now I get to play with my HO trains with 2 different clubs.

As much as I am getting into large scale and have all but forgotten my HO ambitions I have not nor will I sell off my HO stuff. I will eventually do a static display at the very least. I still consider HO to be the perfect scale. Tons of stuff available, gives you the opportunity to model larger scenes and still have fun with details. Large scale is way cool and as a scratch builder I love it but HO is still way cool.

Ok Devon, but hand painting lettering in HO is such a royal pain in the…eyes.

I’ll give you that. I don’t hand paint lettering in scale. Thank goodness for decals.

Devon, yes I do use decals, when I can find what I want for less then price of…

Well, I am a cheap bast person.

David Maynard said:

Devon, yes I do use decals, when I can find what I want for less then price of…

Well, I am a cheap bast person.

Ha, Well I am also. I was very disappointed when my printer would print decals like my old one (transparent ink thing). When I decided to get my decals for my loco I was thankful Stan worked with me and I was able to create a full sheet of decals so as to maximize the cost. So it wasn’t to bad. But I get you. I will be in the market for a printer I can do decals on again.