Large Scale Central

Radiant burner for Accucraft Shay

Nick Jnr over on the other forum has converted his new 3-c Shay to using a radiant burner instead of the usual Accucraft item that is noisy, inefficient and often hard to light.

He has a number of images posted, and reports good results.

I’d like to do the same thing, but do not participate on the other forum, and, as a non-participator, I can’t see his images either, let alone contact him to find out the source of the new unit.

Anybody here help me out?

TIA

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

tac,

I’m missing something here. Can’t any “guest” view a thread and see the pictures?

This is a ‘copy’ and ‘paste’ - don’t know if it works n the new LSC!

Edit: Well, it does. Do you want me to do the rest or can you just go there and see them yourself ? Why not ask Nick-Jr to post them here?

Pete - All I can see are large empty squares. Thanks for trying to help me out, though - much appreciated.

I can’t ask Nick Jnr anything since I’m not on the other forum. :frowning:

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

I’m quite interested in this too. I assume the “other place” is MLS. I’ll take a look and see what I can do tom=night when In get home.

tac Foley said:

Pete - All I can see are large empty squares. Thanks for trying to help me out, though - much appreciated.

I can’t ask Nick Jnr anything since I’m not on the other forum. :frowning:

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

I still don’t see why you can’t see MLS forums and photos. Is there some foreign issue? Have you asked Bob ?

Anyway, I saved and uploaded this to my LSC Album, so no excuses if yu can’t see it.

nicks radiant burner

Hey, Pete, I can see that perfectly! On MLS I can read the posts AND see the images that are actually posted on it, but HIS images are NOT on it, but on some kind of a photo album that works VIA MLS, and I do not have membership to see them.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

This is what I get when I click on any of his image links -

vBulletin Message

tac

Gee, they sure are a friendly bunch over there at MLS. I guess we won’t be getting details any time soon Thanks for trying Pete.

I wonder just where he got his radiant burner? 'snot from over here, that’s for sure, else we’d ALL have them in our gas-fired Accucraft steamies.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

tac Foley said:

I wonder just where he got his radiant burner? 'snot from over here, that’s for sure, else we’d ALL have them in our gas-fired Accucraft steamies.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS

I’m pretty sure he made it. Here’s his (second) response to my request that he post the photos here:

"Pete, I can easily view LSC also. NO I didn’t purchase the radiant burner, I merely modified the factory one.
And honestly, there is really nothing wrong with the factory supplied poker burners from Accucraft. I just like to tinker with things. Learn how not to over fill the gas tank, to adjust the air collar (for the fuel you are using, as there are several different Butane Mixtures, and control it with the supplied valve (no additional valve is needed as you would be led to believe) and you will see how easy they are to light and maintain. LG "

There’s been a few articles over the years on making radiant burners. They usually involve making the poker point downwards and covering it with stainless mesh. I’ve done one or two. Take a look at this article radiating poker burner for some photos, and try googling for more.

Wow, THAT’s useful! Many thanks for posting that.

tac

Ottawa Valley GRS