Large Scale Central

Old Vs. New AMS Wheel Profile

I’m trying to determine if an AMS car that has been giving me trouble tracking through switches have the old profile wheels. I had two extra sets and they seem to have a slight fillet on the flange, but not nearly as much as a Bachmann or Aristo wheel.

Anyone have both they could photo?

John

Which car and which number. That is often the easiest way to determine the wheel type.

There have been at least 3 different profiles on AMH cars. I replace the older two profiles with Bachmann wheels and ball bearings. The latest cars with the latest profiles seem to track well and I have not replaced them.

Stan

It’s a DRGW 3000 series boxcar - unlettered. I’ll have to dig for the box to get the part number. It was NOS when I bought it a few years back. Did not come with the L brackets on, or for, the trucks. I just added some tonight. This is it…

John

Easy. All AMS cars without the L brackets are the oldest models and all have the original AMS wheels which look great but do not track very well.

We actually found one still on the railroad last weekend. It was on the car that derailed several times on a run. It is now in the shop awaiting its turn for new wheels and ball bearings.

Stan

Thanks Stan. I had a couple of spare sets of AMS wheels. They looked like they had a little fillet on the flange. But since none of my cars were new models they are probably the second generation wheels.

I’ve developed a procedure to change out to Aristo wheels which I have in stock. If the L-Bracket and wheel change don’t fix it, the wheels are gone!