Large Scale Central

Hook & Loop on Aristocraft?

I have only ever purchased LGB and USAT rolling stock. Can I convert Aristocraft rolling stock to hook & loop couplers? Does Aristo look good along USAT and LGB rolling stock? Do they couple together well?

YES to all three questions…

Jay, Aristo stuff originally came with hook and loops in the box. I run a mix of most everything. So I second Fred’s motion, yes to all three questions.

Aristocraft made their own hook and loops that don’t always fit well on others like LGB USAT and Bachmann which are interchangable. Those 3 have plastic springs whereas the aristo ones have metal springs. I like the aristo metal springs because they are strong and won’t uncouple but I don’t use them in rollign stock that gets left outdoors because they will rust away.

I have had to trim the tail, the uncoupler part off some of my hook and loops because they were catching on switches.

If you hold a LGB one to a Aristo one you will see that the little curve pocket is missing from the aristo. You may have to modify the coupler or the car to get it to fit right but once on they are 100% compatible with the LGB USAT and Bachmann.

My preferred way to uncouple the hook nad loops is with a popsicle stick.

Happy RRing

Todd, a fly swatter works also for uncoupling.

ALso, Trainli hook and loops are the smae as LGB also.

Aristo hook and loops are unique as is HLW for mounting.

Yes all, again !

I use AC Hn’Ls on everything (or try to)! And if the corners don’t snag (on a test R1curve) cut them back to use the inside mounting screw hole on the coupler assembly. Cut at the subtle ridgeline btwn the two holes. This provides a narrower spacing btwn rolling stock !

doug c