Large Scale Central

Camera Car

I had this short chassis for a few years and wasn’t sure what it was from or what I was going to do with it.

Decided to make a camera car with it. Need to add some weight to the other end.

For great pictures around a curve my friend modified the truck to make the camera follow the rails on curves. His mounting platform was secured to the truck instead of the car body.

Mine aren’t quite that fancy.

One sits on a USATrains passenger car truck, which is all metal and pretty heavy, with a side counter weight.

Nice re-purposing of an 8-Track (or was it a CB) mounting bracket Ken (http://www.largescalecentral.com/externals/tinymce/plugins/emoticons/img/smiley-smile.gif)That car wouldn’t get around my RR with it’s close clearences. My camera car is a bit simpler, but carries lighting too…

I have to watch out for clearances, too in a few spots. It’s good for going around curves and focusing on the drivers or behind the engine for an engineers view.

Looks good Jim. Will we be seeing a video of your layout soon?

My camera car is pretty simple. I used a 2 axle 5 inch long LGB flat car, put metal wheels on it for weight and ran a bolt through it, offset to the side so when my camera, a Gopro hero 3+ is spun on it is centered.

Using such a short car it is easy to pick up and carry to film a shot then put back down on the track without ever detaching the camera. The short wheel base doesn’t swing out as much as a longer car does on curves.

Nice start Jim. Have to test it on our layout whenit done. Good idea of a flat car…

Here is one we did a few yrs ago that we also use for night videos.

We have to get the photo off of another site… Frt.shed not working here.

Someone from the Buffalo area has attached a GeoPro to a truck similar to Noels. It was neat small and light weight. Brought to the Garden Factory’s train display.unfortunately I did not get a hands on to check it out for details. Not for me but it may be of intert others. Perhaps Kevin(dieseldude) knows who did it and could get some details such as does it follow the curve, and tips/ instructions as to how he built it.

I tried something like Noels also for my setup my camera was to big and I had trouble gettiing it through the bridges and tunnels. Because of its size, it was top heavy. Has anyone tried using a smart phone? Just cannot justify buying a special camera to take a few on track videos. Just have to stick with handheld videos

thomas prevost said:

Someone from the Buffalo area has attached a GeoPro to a truck similar to Noels. It was neat small and light weight. Brought to the Garden Factory’s train display.unfortunately I did not get a hands on to check it out for details. Not for me but it may be of intert others. Perhaps Kevin(dieseldude) knows who did it and could get some details such as does it follow the curve, and tips/ instructions as to how he built it.

I tried something like Noels also for my setup my camera was to big and I had trouble gettiing it through the bridges and tunnels. Because of its size, it was top heavy. Has anyone tried using a smart phone? Just cannot justify buying a special camera to take a few on track videos. Just have to stick with handheld videos

We did one with our track cleaning car with a video cam on it and added a wide view lens to cam. Work out great, but kind of large and heavy. Need more power to push it… lol.

Some neat idea already posted so far.

Noel,

The GoPro video cameras were the hot ticket item for Christmas. I saw them in almost every store. I know wery little about them except they are about 2 1/2 X 2 1/2 inches and are designed for the hiker, jogger, and other sports, they were designed to be worn on head or chest or handlbars of bike. Don’t know cost and what run time they have. It looked like a good solution if one wants to spend the bucks (not me as I do little photography).

Thanks for the comments. I appreciate all feedback.

I took Dan’s advice and modified the car so the camera swivels with the truck (Camera Car 2.0).

Replaced old board (styrene) with hole from Camera Car 1.0

Todd Haskins said:

Looks good Jim. Will we be seeing a video of your layout soon?

Thanks Todd.

There isn’t much to see. The only interesting thing would be my old tractor and our coon hound sitting on the spa cover.

My track work is NASCAR style at moment.

I’m still making up 8’ sections of flex track while waiting for the parts to finish my flex track assembly jig.

Noel Wilson said:

Nice start Jim. Have to test it on our layout whenit done. Good idea of a flat car…

Here is one we did a few yrs ago that we also use for night videos.

We have to get the photo off of another site… Frt.shed not working here.

Thanks Noel.

I will bring it with next time I come over.

thomas prevost said:

Thomas- I usually check out the Garden Factory display after attending the RIT Train Show. Unfortunately, I didn’t make it to the show this year. However, the guy that runs the layout might be able to help you ID the camera car. His name is Lou Mayes. He is in the Victor, NY area. He might be able to shed some light on the car info. Hope this helps.

-Kevin.

Kevin,

Lou is part of our train club and I assist him with the show. the guy asked Doug if it was alright to run his car. No problem. He brought it in spent about 1/2 hr running it around the inner track and one of the point to points and left. We thought he would let us view the video. But by the time we realized he was leaving it was too late. He quickly packed up and left. He just pushed the truck conataining the camera with a USA diesel. We thought he may be one of your club members as he mentioned a show at the botanical gardens.

Here is a photo of my camera car with a GoPro Hero 3+ attached to it. I used to use a flip camera which was taller but screwed on to the bolt that runs through the car.

It is simple and easy to move around with one hand while my other hand holds the TE. I can uncouple it from the train, place it on the ground for a run by then rerail it pretty quickly all without detaching the camera from the car.

In the photo it is tight on the bolt. Sometimes I loosen the camera on the bolt and as it goes by me I can pan it to catch something interesting trackside.

Using a GoPro it is actually easier to let the video keep rolling then edit out the junk later on.

Nice car Todd. That would be a one handed re-rail.

My camera has HD video so no go pro. Don’t need a digital witness for some of the dumb stuff I do.

I was thinking about following the train with my quad heli to see what that looks like. In my case probably not worth doing yet.

Would most likely crash into the koi pond at Noel’s. Should just leave it alone can’t fly very well anyway.

Jim Harris said:

I was thinking about following the train with my quad heli to see what that looks like. In my case probably not worth doing yet.

Would most likely crash into the koi pond at Noel’s.

Welcome Jim

It would be a cool video though!

Hey Jim H. Also, may have to watch out for the tall Pines amd maybe a Rooster. ( David R. cousens feathers pull out easy with blades.) Pap, LoL.

Thanks David.

Yeah it would be cool if somebody that new how to fly manned the quad copter.

Noel you have way too much overhead to fly around your layout.

Very windy today. Just installed Airwire drop in on the GP-9. Reworked the light boards with LEDs. Now for the sound.