Large Scale Central

India Ink uses? and other weathering ideas?

OK thanks to Doc Tom for explaining his India Ink technique and the overall method to get that aged wood look for his MIK project.

I was wondering what other uses the India Ink/Alcohol mixture can be used for. He also mentioned on painted plastic. Is is used as a weather agent on say locos or ???

I am planning on making my flats and box cars out of real wood scribed and roughed up and then painted a prototypical color. can the india ink then be used over that to “age” and weather it?

For my coaches I am going to make them out of Styrene and then paint them. same question can the wash be used to weather it?

I love weathering, I was just getting into it in HO when I left that scale and was just starting to learn various techniques. So any little pet tricks would be great. I have made washes with very diluted acrylic paint and have dry brushed, used chalk, grease pencils, crayons, and oil paints to achieve different effects. Even gave some graffitti a try using ballpoint paint pens. But I know weathering is a personal a thing as it comes so would love to hear what works for you.

I call it a “dirty wash” and slather it on practically everything that I weather.

You can do something similar with Floquil rust and thinner (i.e., super dilute and slathered on) for metal cars and wheels sets.

Todd Brody said:

You can do something similar with Floquil rust and thinner (i.e., super dilute and slathered on) for metal cars and wheels sets.

Thanks Todd,

This is already in my bag of tricks

After the Challenge little buddy!

John

John Caughey said:

After the Challenge little buddy!

John

I thought the spirit of the challenge was to openly share ideas and techniques. But what do I know? I’m just a rookie.

To me it’s Win Baby Win! lol :wink:

We share 'em as we do them, then we can be flattered as we are copied!

Really Todd I was just messin’ with my bud.

John

lol, Todd

John is just ornery.

John,

Doc Tom already offered up all I need fr the challenge so :stuck_out_tongue:

Uh oh He’s got more talent in his pinkie than …

Devon,

If you want, give a mixture of Kiwi black leather dye and alcohol a try.

I started using it several years ago and found I like the results much better than the Ink solution.

I like it because it seems to flow better and give better color density than the ink and doesn’t seem to be affected by overlays of other pin washes using different solvents.

Rick

Devon,

Here’s an easy way to get that faded peeling paint effect in your weathering. Works really well on most (but not all) factory painted surfaces. Just apply the isopropyl alcohol/India ink mixture to the surface and let it set for a few seconds. Then gently rub the painted surface with a cotton swab. The alcohol softens the paint and part of it will rub right off. The black ink remains. Here is how it comes out on a Bachmann 1:20.3 long caboose.

If you want a redwood effect, I got it mixing Brown drawing ink in alcohol. My brand was Rapidograph.

John

Rick Marty said:

Devon,

If you want, give a mixture of Kiwi black leather dye and alcohol a try.

I started using it several years ago and found I like the results much better than the Ink solution.

I like it because it seems to flow better and give better color density than the ink and doesn’t seem to be affected by overlays of other pin washes using different solvents.

Rick

Interesting,

I even had some of that a while ago and threw it out. I did a leather project for my cub scouts. When it was over I had no use for it and threw it away. dang it.

Bob,

I used alcohol to strip a painted loco, never thought of using it for that effect. With the ink serving to weather and replace it makes for an interesting effect. it looks good.

John, John, John

gotcha, now the merry gypsy will have a redwood chariot. Knew I could get something out of you.

That brand gave a reddish tint, I can’t say all are formulated the same. Rapidograph is a major brand at drafting supply and art supply stores.

John