Large Scale Central

My Springs are Sprung!

Is there anyone out here that has had an issue with the springs falling out of the AMS couplers?? I have 3 Jackson Sharp coaches and I’m losing coupler springs right and left.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Richard

Shouldn’t that be front and rear?

Richard,

I have not seen this problem with my cars. are these the original springs, or have they been altered or replaced with Kadee springs. I have tried Kadee springs on a few cars because the originals were to stiff, but found them being lost on a regular basis. what radius curves are you running them thru?

AL P.

The centering ones? Yea, ive lost a bunch of them. I just take the other side out, too, and manually center them when knocking cars.

I may have a few curves that are 8’ and I know the couplers work hard with those. I was thinking that might be my problem. I’ve soften a few curves by adjusting the track and that has helped the occasional derailment.

I guess I need to go hunting to try and find the missing springs…that would be fun!!

Richard

Do you have a large magnet?

David - “Like”…oh wait…this isn’t Facebook. Sorry! :slight_smile:

Magnets find the craziest things! I got one at Harbor Freight, so I don’t even have to bend down to find srews, nails, springs – unless they are not iron/steel. I need a magnet for brass!

Dick, yes. Once I found a small screw with my magnet. I have no idea what locomotive is missing one, but everything still runs fine, and the shells haven’t fallen off of any of them, so I guess its not critical.

I’ve replaced all of mine with KDs. You can get a bag of springs from them. If you want the accucrafts, PM me and I’ll send them to you.

I found a broken laser/pen and noticed the spring looked the same diameter as the AMS coupler springs. Its longer than than the AMS so might play around with it to see if it might work. Of course if it does I’ll have to buy a bunch of laser pens and break them :slight_smile:

Richard

Richard Mynderup said:

Is there anyone out here that has had an issue with the springs falling out of the AMS couplers?? I have 3 Jackson Sharp coaches and I’m losing coupler springs right and left.

Any thoughts??

Thanks,

Richard

I haven’t noticed this as a problem.

One solution would be to loosely tie fishing line around the coupler over the springs. It will keep them from disappearing.