Large Scale Central

The HO Acela set.

Recently, I acquired a Fairly new LGB Genesis P40-8 Amtrak locomotive. I happen to see an Acela set as well in HO. So , I decided to pick it up as well. The set is manufactured in China for Bachmann Trains and features the Spectrum versions of the Acela locomotive and its twin non operating locomotive. There were three cars that came with the set, but I wanted the prototypical look and decided to purchase an additional four cars. One being a spare. 22 inch radius track at 81 X 45 is included along with a basic analog transformer/power supply.

The set up is really easy. Takes about 15 to 20 minutes. I had her running. The cars I chose to add were two 1st class and one business end car to go along with the other cars included with the set. This included a café car. The cars are lighted and feature detailed interiors. The operating locomotive and non operating locomotive feature working lights and ditch lights as well as directional red and white lights. There are a total of four working panatagraphs on the two locomotives.

Once I set her up, she ran real nice and scale speeds were around 150 MPH. Very impressive set and I hope to add more Amtrak type locomotives to accentuate this set. The cost for these sets now approach $400 plus dollars. However, many train stores offer discounts.

For those that have never seen the real Acela run, it is a railroaders dream train set. I live real close to the NE service area of DC and Baltimore and the Acela makes regular runs. I also rode on an Acela train set several years ago now. I just wanted to feel like a million bucks and riding on that Acela made me feel real cool. The set I purchased was as much about a memory as it was about model railroading. Just about as cool as it gets.

Yesterday, I added some more straight track to give the Acela a good run. I also purchased a nice F40 dual locomotive set with a caboose. I actually have looked at that set for some 5 years now and finally I decided to pony up a few bucks and get it. I am going to replicate a modern passenger platform. Which I already started working on. It will be of my own unique design. So far, it looks great. I’ll put a parking garage right next to it and add people and vehicles. So far, the set looks real cool. The Acela train set runs one 1st class car along with a café car and four end business cars. So, I replicated that set as it is in real life. Looks cool. Now if only LGB made this in G.