Large Scale Central

taps and dies

I am gonna be building a bridge sometime soon. I want to use nuts and bolts for my build. I am wanting to know what you guys have used?. I have heard that 1/16 welding rod has been used or something close to that diameter. Any suggestions for size of the rod and correct size of die to use and what nut to purchase?. Whatever I come up with I will have to order so I want to get it right the first time… Thanks for your help…Travis

I’d do it this way.

Be careful with welding rod; some of it is so tough it’s practically unworkable. Take a sample home from the store first and try cutting and filing it before you buy a whole bunch. Only after testing should you purchase the amount you need.

Consider cheaper alternatives: soft steel will work, such as coat hanger wire or the thicker stuff used for warning flags and lawn signs, especially if the thought of rust doesn’t drive you crazy. I’m ok with rust myself, I’d put a little oil on the steel and its got a measure of protection anyway. Also after 25-50 years a really badly rusted part can be changed easily… ;-))

Finally, take a bit of your chosen rod to your local tool supplier and test a couple of dies until you get the size that will cut threads pretty easily in your stock. Get nuts to match. If you’re a novice at this, be sure to acquire any lubricant customarily used with your particular metal.

I love metalwork!!! Good luck with your project, may it bring you much pleasure, both in the making and in the owning!

Travis

Get the model RR kit from micro fasteners http://www.microfasteners.com/aststtrn-small-steel-fastener-assortment-for-trains.html this is a great starter set and will give you a better idea of what you will and will not need. As for building a bridge I would probably recommend 2-56 or 4-40 for assembly especially if its gonna stay outside

I thought brazing rod was what was used. Since its brass its easier to work then steel.

I could be wrong though.

I use old bicycle spokes. They are already threaded one end. Diameter sizes do vary, so check before buying a die.

Yeah, I got the brazing rod, works great with a 4/40 die.

I went with brazing rods to!
Also depends on availability of nut size you want.