Large Scale Central

Building Wooden Trestles

Here is a video that shows how I build wooden trestles from cedar. Most of the included images are fairly self-explanatory. I start by cutting all of the required lumber from cedar fence boards (not shown), and drawing a plan for the trestle components. I make jigs for the bents so that I can cut the bottoms evenly on my table saw. I glue and nail the pieces together, and spike the rails to the ties. The tie plates and NBW castings are optional and do not make the trestle any stronger; I just think it looks better this way.

Bob

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OkMeQFDif28[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=OkMeQFDif28[/youtube]

Nice video Bob. Great explanation via pictures. Words are optional with that video.

Are you using small finishing nails where you pre-drilled? And are those pins in the diagonals?

Bob C.

Bob,

Nice video. I have developed a slightly different method to build my trestles. I cut the pieces to length including angle cuts (with angle jig) them process them thru a drill jig of my own design that drills holes at the proper angles as well as the ends of the beams. then using dowels I can glue /clamp the whole bent together. this was the best way I could come up with to build the prototype multi story bents.

AL P.

Nice video Bob. It is a really good explanation of how to build a trestle. There arent that many of those videos out there explaining how to build a trestle. I know I searched when i was building mine.

Agree. Good instructional job done there.

VERY nice video. I like the insetting and overlap of the edge boards.

Nice looking bridge Bob.

I like to use mahogany for my trestles, wood glue and a pin nailer.

keep up the good work and Happy RRing

Nice looking trestle Bob, but you better get guard rails on it before Sir Fred see’s it or you’ll be in trouble.

Chuck,

I build my trestles following RGS narrow gauge standards. The guard rails are spaced 9"outside of the running rails (probably for flanger clearance during snow removal.)

Bob

I’m enjoying your comprehensive postings of various projects Bob. Nicely done, good to have you here.