Large Scale Central

Collecting & Restoring Railroad Lanterns

I had 3 lanterns that came from the old homestead which was torn down years ago. Granpop, who died 2 weeks before I was born, worked on the PRR. So I was told they were his.
so over the years, I’ve gotten a few on ebay, bought one at a yard sale, etc.
Now instaed of my wife saying I have too many trains, she says “Another lantern???”
I’m up to 15 or so. 5 have been fired up. The last one was a 1933 Adlake from the C NO & TP. It’s in really great shape for it’s age and needs very little work, and has very little rust.
One of my excuses comes from being without electricity for 5 days from Hurricane Sandy.
Anybody else here collect?
Lou

I got a couple from my grandmother when her estate was being liquidated, and one that I nailed off eBay for the first railroad I worked for (the Arcade & Attica) which features a a carman’s blue globe, which would make it a “blue flag” light.

I have a few lanterns hanging in the basement… I haven’t done any research on them, I just like and collect them…

I have a couple Deitz farm-style / barn style larnterns, i like the shape.

(http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6185/6141005482_1794c81206_z.jpg)

I also have mmmm … half a dozen kerosene parlour lamps of various types. I am especially fond of this cast iron swing-bracket style and have a few of them, some singles, like this, and some doubles. (This one is missing the wall-mounting bracket, which is why the seller is clutching it by hand.)

(http://www.yowcow.com/listimg/img1_0613/17/img_3Eb3Kb3J25Id5H15M1d4e935188f8df811559_r.jpg)

I have D&RGW brakemans lantern and Reading Railroad loco dept lantern with a heavy steel lower band that was used on locomotives both are almost brand new.
I also have a Lehigh Valley but it is in rougher shape.
My Dad and I collected and restored a bunch of them back in the 70’s when they could be bought rather inexpensively. Most of them were sold to buy other toys…
I still fire one up occasionaly and have a bunch of barn lanterns that I use for summer evenings.
Nice and nostalgic…

I had some old lanterns when we lived in the other house. I don’t think any of them were actual railroad lanterns. I sold them off back when I was young and stupid. Now that I am older and stupid, I have bought a few lanterns. Although they are not railroad lanterns, they do come in handy when the power goes out, and it goes out more often then it should.

I used them in my workshop to work on my trains, so does that make them railroad lanterns by default?

:wink:

Well, tomorrow is my last day at work. Ofishaly retired on April First! Now I can work on the lanterns that have been rusting. I know there is a Norfolk & Western that needs to be finished.

Lou Luczu said:

Well, tomorrow is my last day at work. Ofishaly retired on April First!

You sure that’s not an April Fools joke…:wink:

Congratulations on your retirement Lou!

Does being given one constitute collecting?

I have a SP Adlake. Unfortunately somebody thought a candle was better than a wick… I’m guessing here. What would it have used? I see a place for the adjustment rod to come out, but no wear sign on the glass where it would have touched…

John

I have a Red Globe ‘D&RGW’ unit that my father found behind the Roundhouse in Durango in 1952. And I have a few more, one switch stand unit that I want to make into a Table Lamp. I would take some pictures and post them.

Paul

I have about 6 or 7 with a collection of colored globes used during the holidays at the Island, use a Shepherds hook and have Red/Green/Yellow/Blue burning.

When working on the ‘PAZ’ - would display and burn in the evening hours to match operations; blue when down for track work etc., yellow or green when operating.

1 or 2 local: DL&W, RDG and now I will have to get out and check what is on the others!

Every Fourth of July I hang out a pole with Red, White (clear), and Blue.

Maybe I should do it for Veteran’s Day coming up?

I think that would be a good idea. Pics, please.

For you, Steve, anything.

Daylight

Twilight

Night time. Clear one kind of overpowers.

Lou

I wouldn’t exactly say I’m a collector, but I have one switchstand lantern, two brakeman’s lanterns - the red one I hang up outside and illuminate each Hallowe’en, the clear one - I’m not sure I could find it very quickly.
I also have one that I was told was a caboose lantern - it has a cylindrical tin base about 8" in diameter by 3" high that readily stands on a surface. It may also have clipped into a wall bracket, which I don’t have.
My sweet Irish wife has two or three barn lanterns, so she’s crazy too, thank goodness.
Most of these things are in the garden shed out back.
They have come in handy during power outages: I have a supply of kerosene, which is also useful as a track cleaner.
I love Lou’s RW&B display. That’s very cool!

Yea, I agree. I have used my lanterns more then I thought I would. They are just plain old oil lanterns, not the railroad variety, but they work.

Use for light?

Huh, except during Hurricane Sandy, after 5 days the house smelled like kerosene. And that stuff they sell that is supposed to take the odor out, doesn’t work!