Large Scale Central

Moss

We’ve discussed this before in Ralph’s railroad build log. I have been experimenting with transplanted moss for quite a few years with varying results. I usually harvest it with a flat shovel like sod, keeping a thin slice of earth with it. I have some areas where it thrives and others where it fails. I believe a lot of it has to do with drainage. You need just the right amount. Too much and it dries out; too little and it rots and dies. My latest experiments have been in the area of the re-built Coal Dump Curve. Last year I attempted tp get moss to take hold in the cracks between the rocks. It looked good while kept watered last summer but never greened up this spring. I just replaced it all using pieces with a thicker slice of earth…

While I was at it, I decided the area around the new Wall passenger stop could use a lawn…

Wall Station still needs a passenger shelter of some sort, but at least there are facilities :slight_smile:

Jon,
I harvest mine the same way, like sod.
You are right about drainage. I have some areas that drain too well. The moss dries up. But so far, it hasn’t died.
A rain comes along and it greens up for a bit.
So I have many different shades of green, and sometimes brown.
But it all looks good :slight_smile:
Ralph

Moss plants need a firm soil bed rather than loose, fluffy soil, so if the area has been cultivated recently it should be tamped down lightly prior to laying your moss. Remove any debris, plants or leaves (moss doesn’t like compost).

Lay the sections of moss on the soil and tamp them firmly into position. (I lay a square piece of plywood over the patch and step onto it to create even pressure). If you purchase moss in a pot, firm the surrounding area then dig a planting hole the exact size of the pot. (No roots, remember?)

If you want to grow your moss on a rock or log, mix up some regular old mud and spread it on the surface you want to cover before pressing the moss into place.
Water regularly and thoroughly for the first 3 weeks.

Propagating Moss

Take a clump of healthy moss and crumble it into your blender.
Add 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cups of water
Blend at the lowest speed until it is completely mixed and the consistency of a thin milk shake. (add water if necessary)
Paint the mixture onto rocks, pots or statuary, or simply pour it on the ground wherever you’d like your moss to grow!

Mark Dash said:
Take a clump of healthy moss and crumble it into your blender. Add 2 cups of buttermilk and 2 cups of water Blend at the lowest speed until it is completely mixed and the consistency of a thin milk shake. (add water if necessary)
And you say I'll lose weight and feel more energy?

:slight_smile:

Jon,
On my railroad that building would “be” the station :wink: :slight_smile:

Mark,
You would probably lose weight but I wouldn’t bet on the more energy part. :slight_smile:

Mark, you forgot to add. Pack lightly with the plan of being away for a few days, because if the wife catches you using her blender. Your going to have to find a place to stay for a few days. :wink:

Sounds weird but it does work guys, and for those of you that are whipped by shmbo, you can find a used blender for model usage at a garage sale

I mixed a concoction of moss and buttermilk and painted it on the north blocks and rocks, yep moss and scum. Took a few years, but it worked.