Large Scale Central

G = Standard Gauge, O = NG... thoughts?

I’m running 45mm gauge as American Standard for my railway, the Freedom Central (granted, only the Sodor Secondary is operational as yet). Yes, I know that 1/32 is the correct scale, but because of the available equipment, I’m running 1/29th standard. However, I have a mining scene planned, as well as a Narrow-gauge history in the FCR’s back story. I’m thinking that using O scale standard would suffice for trackwork for the mining scene. I’ve envisioned a garratt 2-8-0+0-8-2 freight unit and a 4-6-0+0-6-4 passenger unit for the narrow-gauge lines, a portion of which were 36" and another part being 42". The engines were designed so that the loco’s could be re-gauged simply by dropping the axles and replacing them. On 36" and 42" lines, they’d be outside frame with outside cranks like the Bachmann Connie, while the 56.5" version would be a standard inside-frame, driven directly on the drivers. I’m actually thinking of doing one of each version, one to be run on the 32mm gauge mining scene, and the other to be run on 45mm gauge as a larger narrowgauge trainset. (Okay, who doesn’t like the look of NG steam even if they are SG intermodal/unit-train mainline fans?) I’m thinking of doing the 2-8-0+0-8-2 in 45mm gauge on the theory that I can use the Connie as the bashing bases. When designing the engines, I endeavored to make as much interchangeable as possible between the passenger and freight version. The main drive rods, the pony axles, and almost the entire super structure were all designed to be swappable between versions. (The story has that they were designed & the first two units built at PRR’s Juniata Shops, so standardization was the idea)

The passenger version, equipped as back-to-back 4-6-0’s. The prototype was No.4601 and was tested on the Allegheny Division of the Appalachia Great Eastern. When the AGE disintegrated in early 1903, the Allegheny Division went back to its owners, the Allegheny Valley.

The freight version, equipped as back-to-back 2-8-0’s. The prototype was No.2801 and was tested on the Broad Top and Tonawanda Divisions of the Appalachia Great Eastern. When the AGE disintegrated, the Broad Top Divn went back to its owners, East Broad Top, Tuscarora Valley, Newport & Sherman’s Valley and a few other smaller roads between Broad Top Mountain and Harrsiburg. Tonawanda Division went to the Bradford, Eldred & Cuba, which was immediately torn up, and the Tonawanda Valley & Cuba, which immediately went into foreclosure. It was standard gauged from Attica to Freedom by the successor line Buffalo, Attica & Arcade and almost immediately leased to the Buffalo & Susquehanna. When B&S went bankrupt in 1915, local businesses panicked and formed the Arcade & Attica to operate the 30miles between its namesake towns. (In real life: The A&A is still in common-carrier and excursion service today.) The A&A remained solvent into the early 2000’s when a stockholder coup threatened the company. Rather than tear it apart, they broke apart and formed the fledgling Freedom Central Railroad. A few years later, the vastly superiorly operated FCR completed a hostile takeover of the A&A on its way to becoming a multi-state economic powerhouse. Is there any thoughts on the possibility of building such a unit to run on O scale track? Any thoughts as to the whole idea? Anything? hello? :wink: -J.D.

It should work just fine. What gauge will the 32mm 0 gauge represent in 1:29?

Steve, my math shows it to be fairly close to 42" gauge… about 4/5 of an inch shy of being right on. But, since 1/29 is a bit off for the gauge, I won’t be upset to claim its 36" if that better suits my story. Not sure.

My biggest problem is the idea of trying to find 32mm gauge chassis with which to work from.

There should be lots of them in the 0 scale world. Try flea bay or 0 Gauge Railroading Magazine’s online Buy/Sell Forum

Jason:
I have acquired a bit of 32mm gauge stuff - trucks, couplers, a mechanism, some track, to adapt for placement around one of my mining operations one day. My RR is nominally 1:24 & 1:22.5. I have a few 1:48 bldgs here and there in the background, and no visitor, even some real nitpicking rivetcounting experts, has ever commented !!!

I’m buildiung a water tank right now. Drawn to full scale it looked WAY too big next to my old-time gear. So I re-drew it. It’s probably closer to 1:32 scale now. All the scale rulers did was confuse the issue, several times. I wore out an entire eraser. So I ended up just eyeballing everything to get that drawing to “look right” next to my lokeys… And it seems perfect to me now at last and I’m smiling. So I’m happy with the result, but doing it strictly “according to the book” would have made me miserable for years.

The lesson - do what you like ! It’s only taken me nearly an entire lifetime to learn it finally! ;>))

Jason:

0-scale standard gauge track is 32mm gauge.

32mm equals 1.26" (rounded to two places). 1.26" x 29 equals 36.5" (rounded to a single place). Just about as close to 3’ gauge as one can get, and a lot closer to accurate scale than 45mm in 1:29 scale, where the model gauge is ~51 3/8".

Rather than using 0-scale standard gauge track, consider getting some PECO SM-32 track. It has tie length and spacing that duplicates narrow gauge practice. The 0-scale standard gauge track ties are too small, too short and are spaced too close to accurately represent narrow gauge. It does not provide that narrow gauge look.

I use the PECO SM-32 to represent 2’ narrow gauge on my 1:20 scale RR. Instead of 24" gauge, my aggregate mining operation actually scales out to 25.6". Close enough!

The PECO track is code 200 nickel silver flex with matching turnouts. It is very UV & weather resistant.

I got mine from John Weigel at the The Peterboro Railroad in New Jersey. Great guy to deal with. See:

http://www.peterbororr.com/node/1

Happy (Narrow Minded) RRing,

Jerry

Jason Gallaway said:
Steve, my math shows it to be fairly close to 42" gauge... about 4/5 of an inch shy of being right on. But, since 1/29 is a bit off for the gauge, I won't be upset to claim its 36" if that better suits my story. Not sure.

My biggest problem is the idea of trying to find 32mm gauge chassis with which to work from.

Hmmmm … 32mmx29=928mm divide by 914mm(3ft)= 1.015 i.e. the error would be 1.5% or a lot better than most of the stuff that is on the market. :wink:

OKay, I’ll admit, I did my math wrong. Though I can’t say exactly what I did that night. Either way, Its still a thinking process.

Any comments about the idea are more than welcome (positive or negative)… though I’ve admitted I screwed up the math so thats a taboo topic :wink:

Buy a 2-rail O scale loco you like and slap a larger cab on it. I’ve got several packages of Faller ‘e’-train 32mm sectional track here (leftovers from my mine) if you want to make an offer for it (Downside, only 1 size curve which probably wouldn’t work with the monster you showed)

(http://www.the-ashpit.com/mik/P5040004.JPG)

SVRR - Sunset Valley RR makes 45/32mm dual gauge track in both NG and standard gauge formats, in brass, NS, and aluminium.

NorthWest Short Line offers 0 gauge traction units in their Magic Carpet Power Unit series. If you contact them, they might be able to build just what you are looking for.

Thanks Steve

Jason,
The 32mm track is 2’ gauge in 1/19th scale, or sixteen mm = 1 fot, otherwise known as SM32 and very popular in the UK as they have lots of 2’ gauge railways!
Consequently there is a lot of equipment available for SM32 - steam engines, chassis, etc. Take a look around http://www.grsuk.com/

I also accidentally came across the MTH/Railking O scale line that they sell in the UK and here. There are lots of chassis with fine-scale wheels to choose from. Their “Premier” line also has a choice of 2 or 3 rail - amazing stuff. http://www.railking.co.uk/premier/intro.htm

Hornby is still selling the Bassett-Lowke 2/3 rail locos. http://www.hornby.com/shop/bassett-lowke/bassett-lowke-locomotives/

I’ve been doing a little research… very little admittedly, but it seems that the 32mm gauge idea is basically tabled indefinitely. As far as I can tell, there are no 32mm gauge x-8-x inside frame engines available without spending about 5k in order to get the two drive chassis’s I’d need.

I’d originally hopped to use 32mm gauge track and version of the 2-8-0+0-8-2 to represent a 3-foot narrow gauge engine working alongside my 45mm gauge DASH-9’s and SD70MACs representing standard gauge mainline railroading. Since the 45mm stuff is my main love, redirecting 5k of train (and computer and other fun stuff) money to the purchase of twin O-scale DRG&W K class Mikes, to be cut up for their chassis’s, is just plain not going to happen… at least not unless I win tomorrow’s 328million PowerBall… course, I do that and USA & Aristo will be sold out of a bunch of stuff for a while.

I’m still thinking that a 32mm gauge line will be built, but likely will end up running a small Brookville diesel-electric and a string of mine carts.

Of Course, biding my time, this does not preclude the capture and dismemberment of twin 2-8-0’s from Bachmann to build a 45mm gauge version of the freight engine I designed… I’ll just end up having to also get a small fleet of matching narrow gauge cars: EBT coal hoppers; Allegheny Valley oil tankers; TV&C reefers and stock cars; a couple Appalachia Great Eastern passenger cars… ugh! Too much of that narrow gauge stuff! Give me my intermodal containers and 6-axle AC-powered diesels!

I’ve often thought that 32 mm (O gauge) was a good way to do narrow gauge, and it would be smaller than standard gauge. I even built a NG boxcar using Lionel trucks. Then I built a short section of dual gauge track. I’ve got a picture somewhere of the car next to a 1:32 car.

You might look at Lionel or similar O gauge locomotives to modify. I can’t put the boxcar on live tracks, because Lionel wheels are not insulated from each other. (On three rail track, the outer rails are electrically connected, the middle rail is “hot.” Maybe two rail O trucks would work; I haven’t tried.

If I do, it would end up being battery-powered and radio control with the same control system that I eventually choose for my “standard gauge systems”.

Jason Gallaway said:
If I do, it would end up being battery-powered and radio control with the same control system that I eventually choose for my "standard gauge systems".
Then you are home free. Battery power is a good way to go.

Another place to look is MTH. They have many x-8-x motor blocks.

Check out O Gauge Railroading’s Wanted to Buy and For Sale or Trade forums.

True Steve, but try finding an outside frame that simulates the DRGW K class Mikes.

Well, if you’re going to be picky. :smiley:

Build the outside frame on a 2-8-0 block. That might work.